Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AVR Programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

geko

A friend of mine has come to me with a circuit that is designed around an Atmega32 and they've asked me if I would build it for them.

Now I'm a PIC guy, but as he's a good mate I said I would do it.

To that end I need an AVR Programmer and I wanted to ask if there is an Atmel equivalent of the Microchip PICKit2?

If not, anyone care to recommend a programmer, I don't mind spending some money on it since I might well end up using it again in the future.

Last edited:
A friend of mine has come to me with a circuit that is designed around an Atmega32 and they've asked me if I would build it for them.

To that end I need an AVR Programmer and I wanted to ask if there is an Atmel equivalent of the Microchip PICKit2?

If not, anyone care to recommend a programmer, I don't mind spending some money on it since I might well end up using it again in the future.
I suggest that you may well use the programmer detailed here and the driver software is also downloadable there. you may perhps use the naieem mod for the pcb and it is also downloadable . you may have to register , ofcourse. **broken link removed**

Definitely the Atmel **broken link removed**. Hands down the best AVR programmer there is right now.

Digikey has them for $53 Canadian. $49 US. Also order to go with it some double-row pin header and some 2x3 and 2x5 (and maybe even one 2x10) IDC plugs and sockets and, if you don't have any, some ribbon cable (old hard drive or floppy cables can be ripped up though).

Thanks Futz, AVR Dragon it is then.

Seems to be about £34 in the UK unless anyone knows where I can find it cheaper?
That sounds like a decent price.

If you're going to be doing any amount of AVR work, consider getting a **broken link removed** from Ecros Technology, to go with it. Turns the Dragon into something like an ultra STK-500. Nice board.

AVR Dragon is nice, but watch out, AVR Dragon failure is pretty commonplace, and is very sensitive to mistakes in wiring such as power. If you want the top notch for as cheap as possible, get the Dragon, but for reliability along with fault protection etc, the AVRISPMKII, for $35, it is amazing. I used it a lot until I bought the JTAGICEMKII.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back