Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Automobile starter motor to power bicycle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless I misunderstand you guy's, which is possible, you have the gearing backward.

Large on motor, small on wheel is gives a faster RPM at the wheel. If the large sprocket turns one time the wheel sprocket will turn more times, depending on the ratio.

You want the motor sprocket to be the smaller of the two, to gear down the speed.

This is exactly what I have planned. I have the small sprocket stack on the motor shaft, and the large one where the pedals are. I need to go for torque, not speed :D

Well, guys, I had another idea. Instead of going without pedals, I thought of another way to have both. The pedals are easily removable on my bike, so I am thinking of just taking off the pedals when I want to use the motor. Then, when I want to pedal, I can just put them back on. Easy, right? Any opinions or suggestions?
Thanks! :D
Der Strom

Well, guys, I had another idea. Instead of going without pedals, I thought of another way to have both. The pedals are easily removable on my bike, so I am thinking of just taking off the pedals when I want to use the motor. Then, when I want to pedal, I can just put them back on. Easy, right? Any opinions or suggestions?
Thanks! :D
Der Strom

When you say "take off the pedals" - do you mean the pedals and crank arms, or just the pedals? If the latter, do you have a plan to put your feet elsewhere to keep your ankles from being banged about by the crank arms?

When you say "take off the pedals" - do you mean the pedals and crank arms, or just the pedals? If the latter, do you have a plan to put your feet elsewhere to keep your ankles from being banged about by the crank arms?

Ah, good point. I meant that I would take the pedals AND crank arms. This would leave a hole through the sprockets, which would allow me to put a bolt or something to rest my feet on. If that doesn't work, I can just get a 5 inch piece of steel and weld it right in front (or above) where the pedals used to be.
Thanks for asking that--I guess I forgot to mention it :D

Ah, good point. I meant that I would take the pedals AND crank arms. This would leave a hole through the sprockets, which would allow me to put a bolt or something to rest my feet on. If that doesn't work, I can just get a 5 inch piece of steel and weld it right in front (or above) where the pedals used to be.
Thanks for asking that--I guess I forgot to mention it :D

Oh - ok! You might also want to think about chain shields and such (if you haven't) - abrasions aren't fun, neither is getting your legs or anything else coated in thrown chain grease/oil (heck, even water)...

:)

Ok, plans changed even more, but I will say no more here. You can read my blog, starting with this entry. Enjoy :D

Oh, and yes, I had a spot of bother with the title :p

Last edited:
There are a couple of video's on YouTube with a gokart with a Bosch 24 Volts 6 kW truck starter.
That goes like a rocket.
The geared reduction starters have bearings and excellent torque while drawing a bit less current from the battery.
Starters are series wound motors.
Starters are cheap to get hold off at the scrapyard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back