Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

automatic switch capacitor bank

Status
Not open for further replies.

shicibukai89

i have a project to design capacitor bank with 4 capacitors (for house) and have auto switching to have desired power factor output. i need a datasheet regarding de-tuned capacitor and circuit diagram regarding this topic. how to design the automatic switch using microcontroller?

Are you talking about this kind of thing?
**broken link removed**

I don't see any reason to do power factor correction for a house, since power companies don't normally charge for reactive power in a residence.

But if you need to, you would have to monitor the power factor (voltage phase angle versus current phase angle) and then sequentially connect the capacitors into the circuit for minimum phase difference.

You need an isolated current and voltage phase detection circuit. The voltage detection can be done with an opto isolator to detect the zero crossing. The current sensing can be done with a current transformer or a Hall-effect device. You then use a microcontroller to monitor the phase and switch the capacitors in or out to minimize this phase difference. Solid-state relays can be used to switch each capacitor across the power line.

I only learnt what PFC even is a few months ago. If all the people did PFC in all the houses, would it mean we got cheaper electrickery?

If all the people did PFC in all the houses, would it mean we got cheaper electrickery?
"Electrickery" hee, hee.
Since homes are not charged extra for a poor power factor then many people will not buy correction devices.
If everybody did PFC in their homes then the electricity cost will stay the same longer because then the existing generating stations can supply more homes before building new stations and raise the cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back