Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Automatic On/OFF Timer Circuit Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

mahesh_jo

Dear Friends
I need an automatic On/Off timer circuit to drive a water cooler (220V, 5 Amp). The circuit should have two knobs for setting the on time and another for off time. Setting the on time to say 5 minuites and Off time to 10 minutes should keep the cooler on for 5 minutes and shutdown for 10 minutes. The cycle should loop until we dont disconnect both of them from mains.

Thanks.

You can buy a very simple timer just about anywhere that you plug into the wall and then plug the device into it. I'm sure that you can set a 10 minute delay

A two-transistor astable multivibrator is what you need to search for.

It describes exactly what you want. In fact, you can play with the resistors and capacitors in it to get the time you want.

for 230V, you need powerful transistors. I don't think a tip-31 NPN will work for you.

Mstechca,
Transistors work with a DC supply, don't you think his 220V cooler is AC?

Have you ever made an astable multivibrator oscillator with a cycle time of fifteen minutes? Not enough base current for the transistors from the extremely high value of their base/timing resistors. Too much leakage current in the extremely high value timing capacitors.

A couple of CD4541 Cmos oscillator/counter timer IC's will also do it easily. They even have an automatic reset when their power is turned-on.

Why even bother with a dedicated circuit to control on-off times with 220 volts when at any local store you can pick up a ready made 24 hour on-off timer for about $10. I bought an arlec one for my lead acid battery charger so if I'm working away my wife can safely charge flat batteries. ( you guy's know women can be forgetfull) :wink:

bryan1 said:
Why even bother with a dedicated circuit to control on-off times with 220 volts when at any local store you can pick up a ready made 24 hour on-off timer for about $10.
Because we like designing and making electronic stuff. Your idea spoils half the fun.
The enjoyment it doesn't spoil is designing and making the variable-frequency high voltage power oscillator it needs to control with pots its on and off times. :lol:

Dear Friends
I need an automatic On/Off timer circuit to drive a water cooler (220V, 5 Amp). The circuit should have two knobs for setting the on time and another for off time. Setting the on time to say 5 minuites and Off time to 10 minutes should keep the cooler on for 5 minutes and shutdown for 10 minutes. The cycle should loop until we dont disconnect both of them from mains.

Thanks.

Hi Mahesh,

hey I was also looking for the same timer schematic..Do you it with any of the timer which has auto ON or OFF

Do reply me soon.

thnx
Pravpa

Many (most?) of the readily-available plug-in timers are electromechanical and have a minimum time resolution of 15 minutes. Not what the OP is after. No doubt there are more elaborate/expensive commercial timers which would fit the bill.
Provided the OP would be content with an OFF period which is a multiple of the ON period then a simple clocked counter should suffice. The clock rate could be varied with a pot, and a multi-way switch could take an output from a selected stage of the counter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back