Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

audio: speaker/amp question

Status
Not open for further replies.

moody07747

I have a pair of altec lansing PC speakers and a set of passive (unpowered) bookshelf speakers.

My old setup to run the speakers was a huge amp under the desk but I don't need something so large.

The Ohms of both the large and small speakers are 4ohms and so why not just wire a jack in place of the small speakers on the Lansing set so I could run cables form the Lansing amp to power the bookshelf speakers.

Would it work?
In my mind I don't see any flaws but I feel its always best to run ideas by someone else just to be sure.

You can disconnect the 4 ohm small speakers and replace them the the 4 ohm larger speakers. But the amplifier might be designed for small speakers so it might not have good bass.

Recently my friend told me to make & give a speaker shifter.

It means he has an amp (stereo) & also he has two types 3way speaker sets.

One speaker set is high quality & the other one is normal.

What he need is when a button pressed the current running speakers must shift to the other two sets.

For normal hearing the low quality speakers & for party times the big ones.

audioguru said:
You can disconnect the 4 ohm small speakers and replace them the the 4 ohm larger speakers. But the amplifier might be designed for small speakers so it might not have good bass.

no bass is no problem here..these have a powered woofer with the set which is where you hook power and both speakers in.

yea instead of soldering the wires on forever I'll make a switcher box for the setup.
BTW this is a studio type setup and I'm using the large speakers as studio monitors...they sound a lot better than the small speakers IMO.

Once i get some active monitors in i wont be needing this setup but for now it will have to do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back