audio: speaker/amp question

Status
Not open for further replies.

moody07747

I have a pair of altec lansing PC speakers and a set of passive (unpowered) bookshelf speakers.

My old setup to run the speakers was a huge amp under the desk but I don't need something so large.

The Ohms of both the large and small speakers are 4ohms and so why not just wire a jack in place of the small speakers on the Lansing set so I could run cables form the Lansing amp to power the bookshelf speakers.

Would it work?
In my mind I don't see any flaws but I feel its always best to run ideas by someone else just to be sure.

You can disconnect the 4 ohm small speakers and replace them the the 4 ohm larger speakers. But the amplifier might be designed for small speakers so it might not have good bass.

Recently my friend told me to make & give a speaker shifter.

It means he has an amp (stereo) & also he has two types 3way speaker sets.

One speaker set is high quality & the other one is normal.

What he need is when a button pressed the current running speakers must shift to the other two sets.

For normal hearing the low quality speakers & for party times the big ones.

audioguru said:
You can disconnect the 4 ohm small speakers and replace them the the 4 ohm larger speakers. But the amplifier might be designed for small speakers so it might not have good bass.

no bass is no problem here..these have a powered woofer with the set which is where you hook power and both speakers in.

yea instead of soldering the wires on forever I'll make a switcher box for the setup.
BTW this is a studio type setup and I'm using the large speakers as studio monitors...they sound a lot better than the small speakers IMO.

Once i get some active monitors in i wont be needing this setup but for now it will have to do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…