Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Audio cable vs. video cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

badger5219

Hey all - I'm wondering whether there is a difference between a cable coming out of a small camera that attaches to the rear of my eBike, and then plugs into a small (USB- rechargable) monitor screen on my handlebars vs. a stereo miniplug cable used with headphones, etc? The camera cable is a foot or two too short, so I am wondering whether an audio headset extender cable would successfully carry the signal and power between the camera and its monitor. I've been told that the camera cable has two insulated wires and a "metal" wire. Before I just plug it in and see what happens, I thought to ask here first. Thanks for any advice :).

Attachments

• TRRS.jpg
    TRRS.jpg
    863.1 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Hypothetically, a video + power cable would have a different internal insulation and screening only on the signal core, rather than overall.

However for a just a few feet you are unlikely to notice any real difference, as long as the audio cable is something like reasonable quality.
Just try and get the shortest one that will do the job.

Yes, it will make no difference - in fact it's pretty likely that the existing wires are identical anyway - in theory video cables should be impedance matched, but for short distances it makes no difference.

Just look at those red/white/yellow plugged AV leads, all three are exactly the same cable - and 10m ones (even two joined together) work perfectly well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back