Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ATX PSU Silverstone ET550-G cannot power on again after thunderstorm

Status
Not open for further replies.

hansmuller

Hello members,

The PSU was running when a lightning bolt struck far away. turned off and cannot power on again.
so probably overvoltage exposed.
I opened the PSU to replace the fuse. it is a ceramic one, therefore I cannot see at first sight if it is blown. Also removal seems unnecessarily difficult as it is soldered and no holders that may clamp it.
Did a sight inspection and did not see anything apparent.
As i do not have good soldering equipment, do you recommend to bring it to technician to solder replace the T10A fuse?
What else maybe should be checked before that?

with best regards
Hans

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

For a start check if the fuse is blown or not, a simple multimeter on ohms is all you need for that.

But to be honest, the chances of only a fuse been damaged by lightning is extremely remote.

Hi Nigel, thx for your expertise and managing the expectations.
well ok you think the fuse may not have been blown. will get a meter. Hans

Hi Nigel, thx for your expertise and managing the expectations.
well ok you think the fuse may not have been blown. will get a meter. Hans

It might well have blown, but if it has other things may well have blown as well.

As it's a ceramic fuse, you 'may' have a hope that it might just be the fuse, in my experience ceramic fuses are pretty unreliable, and often blow for no reason.

First, make sure the PSU is "dead". How are you testing it? If using the computer motherboard to power it up, the motherboard make be dead. There is a standard way to power the ATX power supplies by grounding the green wire on the 24 motherboard plug to a black ground wire on the same harness/plug.
I had one nearby lightning hit less than 2 years ago, and one would be surprised what such an EMP can take out, let alone a surge on the power lines..
If a high voltage spike got through the fuse, it may have damaged a lot more...

If psu not start up, but fuses, mosfets, rectifiers are ok. First checkt the 5V/1A adapter side. Thats important for start up. Sometimes that internal adapter driver ic or protection resistor( around 0,15 ~ 0,60ohm) can burn. I saw also op-amps. My opinion that can less chance. But you can check them anyway. Also my best failed psu repairing technic is soldering iron. Sometimes a zener, resistor, diode, thermis resistors can internaly fail problems, when you make them hot with soldering iron, they goes normal. After get cold problems comes back. You can try also this technic too. oohhh also check the Power-good Ic too. If its giving no output, change it. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back