Attempting to build Repeat Cycle Timer

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCLynx

Boy do I wish I'd gone searching for an electronics forum for help on this first.
Anyway, I've found these instructions in several places but they are missing all the key schematics and pictures!!!!!

I went and got all the parts in the list but when I went to start putting it together I realized I was lost.
I also got a little 555 timer kit that can pulse .5 - 5 seconds and pause 2-60 seconds. I was hoping the kit would help me figure out how to hook everything else up but it really doesn't.

I guess what I mainly need to know is what other connections on chips 2 and 3 need to be made other than the time. Also, what does the 4th chip do?

The parts I actually have (since I could not find the specific # of some)

Relay 2- 9vdc (3A 250V~, 3A 30V-) (I do have a few others lying about also)
DC power supply 9vdc 200mA (I also have some variable and 12v DC power supplies to work with)
I'll just wire up a power cable rather than a power strip (wiring and connectors I'm good with, I just need the help with circuit layout/design)
Small bread board and wires to go with it.
Chip 1 (got 2) NE555 general purpose single bipolar timer
Chip 2 (got 4) MC74HC402 14 stage binary ripple counter (Motorola)
Chip 3 (same as chip 2, only got 4 of those chips total)
Chip 4 (got 2) MC74F74N Dual D-Type Flip-Flop (Motorola)

Capacitors (got 2) minature 3-30 pf adjustable capacitor
Resistors (got 4) 200 K ohm Bourns 3299 vertical trimming potentiometer

circuit board
3 1k ohm resistors
2 1N4148 Diodes
1 1N4007 Diode
1 1M ohm trimpotentiometer
1 50 k ohm trimpotentiometer
1 100nF (104, u1) Capacitor
2 100uF capacitors
1 3mm LED
1 IC socket for the 555 chip
1 555 chip
1 dual screw terminal for board power
1 three way screw terminal for relay controlled device
1 12vdc relay (15 A at 125 VAC, 10A at 28-240VDC)

What I'm trying to do with this is trigger a 12 volt solenoid actually. Probably only need a few seconds on and then 10-20 minutes off.

However, I have plenty of other ideas if this works. I'll probably be back asking how to make some sort of timer that can reverse polarity on the pulse so I can use it to trigger a door lock actuator.

Anyway, I hope this wasn't too long for a first post.
Thanks in advance for any help!

My other thread got a brief inquiry but this is the one that Has all the additional information and I would love if some one has some ideas or recommendations for me.

I don't know. What constitutes homework help? I'm certainly not in school anymore. I'd been searching for repeat cycle timer circuit diagrams and found some instructions that were missing their schematics. I think I have the parts needed but got a bit stuck when I started putting them together.

Alright it's an assignment. There has got to be a million LM555 projects / schematics and tutorials on the net, plus countless books on the 555. They've sold billions. Try 555 relay schematic in Google.

The 555 is sure popular everywhere, I would do what blueroomelectronics suggested. Or, you could do a microcontroller type project which might be a little more difficult.

Last edited:
How much current does your relay need? I think most require 70-100mA, but don't depend on my memory. The driver can be a simple transistor, depending on the current required. You might find this specification on the relay, or by experimentation. Knowing this will help figure out what the driver needs to look like.

I've been searching, that is how I found those original instructions but I can't get the person who posted them elsewhere to reply back about the missing schematics. Which took me back to google doing more searching which eventually brought me here.

Still searching too.

Thanks Bill and Ken, This is why I wish I had come across this site first. Now I'll probably have to go get some new parts if I can't find a drawing to explain how to hook up what I have.

Searching for schematics on google brings up lots of completely unrelated hits and even more patent sites than I know what to do with.

Bill, the diagram you posted, looks more like a one shot timer though I am not very good at reading this stuff yet so I could very well be wrong. I'm trying for a repeating timer that will keep cycling on and off for the periods of time adjusted until power is disconnected.

Ken, thank for that link. I've been there in my search these past few days. I guess I'll have to try some different parts for the timer I guess unless you think some of the parts I have could be substituted without too much difficulty. I suppose I can use the timer design in the link to help me figure out a different design in any case.

Thank you,
TCLynx

Awh, some one could have told me the chips I got were not compatible with the 555 and the other chips I was trying to get!!!!!
Oh well, I found out when I got ahold of a friend who used to do lots of electronics stuff.
We got something figured out with some stuff he had on hand.

Awh, some one could have told me the chips I got were not compatible with the 555 and the other chips I was trying to get!!!!!
Which chips were not compatible with a 555...and how are they not compatible?

Running two threads on the same project is very confusing.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…