Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Attempt at fairly simple circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScuzZ

I'm attempting to build a circuit that will result give me a result of, 12volts@5 - 10amps(regulated).

I'm thinking AC step down transformer (10:1 or 20:1), bridge rectifier, current regulator then voltage regulator.

I'm wondering:

1. The maximum amps I can pull from the grid is 10amps, by using a step down transformer from 240volts to say 18 or 20 volts, do I also get the same increase in amperage? Say 20:1 transformer, will I end up with like 200amps?

More questions to come...

Only if your transformer can handle it.

Use an ATX power supply, nothing to build, it's all right there.

I would use a power supply, but I've been so out of practise that I feel I need to build something to get my eye/brain back in.

So you're saying that if I use a 20:1 transformer and pull 10amps from the grid, I'll get 200amps on the 'down' side?

No that is dead wrong, it should be that way but the wire thickness and actual magnetics going on will limit the current draw WELL bellow the 20:1 turns ratio, of 10 amps to 200 amps. It depends WHOLLY on the transformer being used.

Last edited:
So I understand that I'm going to get an increase in amperage, maybe in a perfect world you'd get the 20:1 increase, but still.

Another question:

1. I'm thinking about using LM338T as the current and voltage regulator as these are relatively inexpensive and very easy to come by.

There are stated as being 5 amps.

Is there a way of using these to produce 10amps or will I have to find another regulator?

You can buffer the current with one or more pass transistor(s). The details for such a circuit may be found in e.g. 7805 regulator datasheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back