Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ATOM Diy module

Status
Not open for further replies.

debe

ATOM MOD red circ.jpg
ATOM MOD.1.JPG
ATOM MOD.2.JPG
ATOM MOD.3.JPG
ATOM MOD.4.JPG
ATOM MOD.5.JPG
ATOM MOD.6.JPG
ATOM MOD.7.JPG
ATOM MOD.8.JPG
ATOM MOD.9.JPG
ATOM MOD.10.JPG
ATOM copy on VICTA.JPG
Here is how to build your own ignition module to replace points & coil in a magneto type system in small engines. Atom modules went out of production in about 2005, so reverse engineerd one to find the value of the components. The 2SD1071 was the key to finding a suitable switching transistor. These I got from Ebay for $8 for 10 freight free.

Debe, how does this work? The electronic ignition units I'm familiar with, connect to both the points and the coil, using the points as a switch to fire the coil. Your unit appears to disconnect the points entirely.

Hi, I have a question about these 'Atom' modules. On the one page shown, there are different color modules, any idea what the difference is between them? It says ignition timing, how would the schematic change for different color modules? And thank you for posting the schematic!

Hi, I have a question about these 'Atom' modules. On the one page shown, there are different color modules, any idea what the difference is between them? It says ignition timing, how would the schematic change for different color modules? And thank you for posting the schematic!
The values of R2/R3/C1 will change the delay between the primary voltage reaching (?)volts and Q1 cutting off, which causes a spark in the secondary.
Spark-timing is thus set to a specific time after the motor reaches a specific position (and velocity.)

They are wired across where the points & condencer go. The module polarity will depend on the ign pulse polarity, if it doesn't work connected one way just reverse the conections of the module. The switching transistor must be insulated from the heatsink when constructing, to allow reverse conecting. Magneto condencers can vary in capacity .15 to.25uf & are atleast 400v. Wrong values will cause point burning.
SCOOTER.3.jpg

For those interested there is quite a lot about Atom ign modules in US Patent 4,163,437 Aug 7,1997. That's where I initialy found the circuit, but there was no component values. And the switching transistor was custom made for Atom. For reliability i still had to add the Mosorb 15KE200A (IN6303A) 200v spike protector.

Like it, a few scrap box parts and a working mower, I saved that in my archives.

I had a mower with a substantially bodged ignition, was done to cut one lot of grass but ended up doing 10 years.

how do i adjust resistors to make brown or yellow module like the Nova 2 or equivelent?

Last edited:
Welcome to ETO, tysman!

This is a rather old thread.

You are more likely to get a response if you start your own, new thread, referencing this one if you like.

This is the circuit of a Brown module that I pulled apart.
ATOM MOD brown circ.jpg
Have not seen a Yellow one to dismantle yet.

thanks for the schematic, is the brown module same as yellow? also will the brown module work with saws that rev 7,000 - 10,000 rpm like the nova 2 and rapid fire does? im adding these modules to homelite saws like sez or XL12 and an XL76 that has dead blue coil that im replacing with points coil and adding module to get spark

Last edited:
Got no idea if they are the same as I haven't had any to pull apart. Those modules here in Australia if you can get them cost around $30 each. Ive already spent $90 on modules pulling them apart to find the values.

ok no problem, so how are you getting values are you measuring the transistor or disassembling the transistor to measure values?

The three modules I pulled apart were constructed the same, using the same switching transistors. The only variations I could see were different resistance values & slightly diferent capacitor values. I mainly stuck with the Red module circuit as it suited my Lawn mowers & Outboards. The modules are getting hard to find now as its 10Yrs since they stoped producing them. The Nova modules proved to be unreliable on some outboards.
ATOM PARTS PLACEMENT.2.jpg
ATOM PARTS PLACEMENT.3.JPG

I see now, the black area was a film resistor on a ceramic substrate. I wonder if the Nova is similar. I might wait till one of them quit working then I will take it apart if I find anything will let you know. For now I will build the brown module and test hopefully it works like the Nova 2 :) if I cant find that tranistor is there an equivelant that will work?

I have tried quite a few transistors, but reliability was an issue. I found the 2SD1071 was the most reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back