Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AT/ATX power supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaguarjoe

I am building a power supply for my shop. 0-24vdc/2a, +/-15vdc/1a, +5vdc/2a, +3.3vdc/2a. The 24v and 15v outputs will be fed from isolated voltage converters to keep them independent.

Rather than spend a ton on an expensive boat anchor transformer I would like to use an AT/ATX power supply to feed the voltage isolaters with 12v, and use the 5 and 3.3 outputs direct but thru current limiters.

I can get new supplies for $11, used ones for $5, and maybe even a free one from my buddies geek son. Are there any sucker traps with this plan? Any suggestions?

Switching noise if you plan to run analog or audio circuits, or are a ShortWave Listener or a Ham Radio enthusiast.

I hate switchers. Any place I can put an iron transformer in place a piece of radio-spectrum-polluting Chinese crap switcher, I will do it...

Last edited:
Are there any sucker traps with this plan? Any suggestions?
You may need to put a permanent load (>=5W) on the 5V ATX output to stop the psu from shutting down.

One 1 ohm resistor on the 5v output will satisfy all the other outputs too?

One 1 ohm resistor on the 5v output will satisfy all the other outputs too?
I think the outputs track due to the transformer configuration, so yes, it's fine for the other outputs. 1 ohm is too small (it'll dissipate 25W!).

Last time I looked, a 4.7 ohm was used, but checking now, it seems 10 ohm is fine:

ATX to Lab Bench Power Supply Conversion :: mbeckler.org
How to Convert a Computer ATX Power Supply to a Lab Power Supply - wikiHow
Converting a PC Power Supply

Thabks for the links, Dougy. They're good.

This is twice in 2 days I had a brain fart. When I said a 1 ohm load, I meant to say a 1 amp load or 4.7 ohms like you said. Yesterday in another post I said to put 3 5volt/30amp supplies in series to get 15volts and 90amps. I can magically turn 450 watts into 1350. I'd be rich!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back