Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ASUS ADP-36EH 12V 3A charger gets HOT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krumlink

My netbooks power cube (tiny power brick for laptops) gets scorchingly hot, I mean hot to the touch where it can nearly burn you! Putting your foot on it with sock, you can easily feel the heat. How could I mount a Big heatsink on the casing of the charger, as I dont want to open it. I figured just using a pipe clamp on it to hold it somewhat snug. Any other ideas?

Taking a temp reading with a thermocouple, I am getting 39C or 102F. Cool, yet this is measuring the plastic case, and it has NO air holes. Imagine the inside.

Remember the charger not the actual computer. The computer is running at 65F :D

Took another reading (waited longer) and now its at 50C

Last edited:
It being that hot isn't unusual at all like blueroom says. Every power supply maker has different specs. Apparently you'rs doesn't mind the pack being a good heater. I've seen some that only get mildly warm to the touch as well.

According to this website
Staying Alive: Burn Information

It would take 30 seconds to get a third degree burn from 130F degrees, and 10 minutes at 120F degrees. If you hug your power brick for the several minutes required to get a serious burn you deserve it =) Incidental contact can not produce a first degree burn.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back