Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Astable 555 controlling an astable 555

Status
Not open for further replies.

davkrat

Hello this is my first post. I have been trying to deverlop a circuit to turn a small 12V pump on and off in a cycle of pulses. All the schematics I have found show a monostable 555 controlling an astable 555. I do not want to have to manually press a switch. I want to be able to connect the power and let the pumps run through their cycle continuously. I am hoping to have the controlling astable on for 6 seconds then off for 4 seconds. I can play with the C, R1 and R2 values too get the timing right. I want the second astable to pulse 1 sec. on 1 sec. off. I want the overall cycle to look like this:

(1 - 0 - 1 - 0 -1 - 0) - (0 - 0 - 0 - 0)

I believe I can get the output of the first astable to trigger/reset the shorter duration pulses of the second. Is that correct or should I be looking for a different IC. Thanks, I hope my description is clear. I have tried getting the output of the first 555 to reset pin 4 of the second, I also tried to set it up to drain the capacitor of the second. The end result is more a combination of the two timers cancelling eachother out. I either get a very fast pulse or more of a average of the two timing cycles. I have not played with electronics in quite some time. In highschool I used to build effects pedals for my electric guitar so I have a very basic understanding of electronics. Thank you for your help.

How about an astable (555 or one made out of a CMOS hex inverter) driving a CMOS counter like a 4017. You can "OR" together the respective outputs to create the desired cadence, as long as the cycle repeats on any integer between 2 and 10.

Attachments

• PumpCadence.gif
    PumpCadence.gif
    81.1 KB · Views: 476
Last edited:
Does the 4017 run through the sequence once and then need to be reset by the 555? That sounds like it might work great, I don't have any experience with a 4017 but maybe I'll pick some up and give it a go.

Does the 4017 run through the sequence once and then need to be reset by the 555? That sounds like it might work great, I don't have any experience with a 4017 but maybe I'll pick some up and give it a go.

I added a sample circuit to my previous post.

Thanks, if I understand the 4017 right each time the 555 output goes high it pushes the 4017 onto the next step in the sequence correct? I never understood how you control the duration of the 4017 steps. I believe it is the overall on/off cycle (t1+t2) of the 555 that determines the duration of each step in the sequence. If so that is exactly what I am looking for.
Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back