Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Assistance with reading small electronic components

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinedup

SinedupNew Member
Hi all. Have you ever tried to squint at miniature, faded, or generally hard-to-read screen printing on a device (think IC's, small glass diodes), or wish to record the part number and specs for ordering? Many cell phone cameras have a focal length of several cm. My Galaxy focuses to minimum of about 8-10 cm. Too close and image is blurred. A cellphone's camera and magnifying glass can serve as a temporary "macro-scope". In practice, I found that dark components such as IC's become too dark when shadow (from close 1-2 cm) magnifier/camera/hands block the light. Solution? Make a simple ring-light with a few U/B white LED's facing inwards. Dimmer can be added as too bright may over-expose photo. Alternatively, a flat device such as an IC or PCB can be scanned at high res on a flatbed scanner and saved/edited/auto-enhanced. A webcam has a very close focal length of about 5 mm, so could be used directly. Tip: construct a jig from plywood etc to hold cell (peep-hole for lens), magnifying "macro" lens, led's and screw-adjustable base for component. LED supply type is your choice. To save batteries, and as my workbench is next to the PC desk, I made mine 5V USB-supplied. To calculate dropper current-limiting resistor to series LED 'chain', subtract total voltage-drop (forward voltage Vf) of all led's led from supply voltage (Vf), then divide this by led forward current (If) in amps. This gives minimum resistor value in ohms. Formula: Rs Ω = (Vs-Vdtot)/If. Series-connected LED's have several advantages over parallel individual: Maximum Wattage rating of Rs is lower. Current (brightness) through series chain is uniform. Battery consumption is lower. Dimmer can be a trimmer, pot (watch wattage), hex-selected resistor array (binary incremented values), or adjustable regulator.

You can also get a $5 optical loupe. Or one of the more pricey ones if you so desire.

Hi all. Have you ever tried to squint at miniature, faded, or generally hard-to-read screen printing on a device (think IC's, small glass diodes), or wish to record the part number and specs for ordering? Many cell phone cameras have a focal length of several cm. My Galaxy focuses to minimum of about 8-10 cm. Too close and image is blurred. A cellphone's camera and magnifying glass can serve as a temporary "macro-scope". In practice, I found that dark components such as IC's become too dark when shadow (from close 1-2 cm) magnifier/camera/hands block the light. Solution? Make a simple ring-light with a few U/B white LED's facing inwards. Dimmer can be added as too bright may over-expose photo. Alternatively, a flat device such as an IC or PCB can be scanned at high res on a flatbed scanner and saved/edited/auto-enhanced. A webcam has a very close focal length of about 5 mm, so could be used directly. Tip: construct a jig from plywood etc to hold cell (peep-hole for lens), magnifying "macro" lens, led's and screw-adjustable base for component. LED supply type is your choice. To save batteries, and as my workbench is next to the PC desk, I made mine 5V USB-supplied. To calculate dropper current-limiting resistor to series LED 'chain', subtract total voltage-drop (forward voltage Vf) of all led's led from supply voltage (Vf), then divide this by led forward current (If) in amps. This gives minimum resistor value in ohms. Formula: Rs Ω = (Vs-Vdtot)/If. Series-connected LED's have several advantages over parallel individual: Maximum Wattage rating of Rs is lower. Current (brightness) through series chain is uniform. Battery consumption is lower. Dimmer can be a trimmer, pot (watch wattage), hex-selected resistor array (binary incremented values), or adjustable regulator.

Seems like a lot of work to duplicate a $4 microscope add-on from eBay.

**broken link removed**

I just use a Carson lighted magnifier or a microscope. USB microscopes are convenient and reasonably priced if you need to record.
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back