Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Asking for help to create a simple circuitboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metalife

Hello,

I'm trying to learn simple electronics and i need to create a charger that indicates when charger is connected to device (lights up and speaker keeps beeping).
Charger is 4,75 V and i want to add LED light and speaker to it. I cut the wire and put LED light in "+" wire. Now when i connect the charger, LED lights up. But if i add speaker, nothing happens. Feels like it tries to do something the moment i connect, but just once. Tried using chatGPT to solve it, but it doesn't help.

Should i use capacitors, resistors and PCB? What would make it easy? I've never built one, but i want to learn. Also - would device still get enough power to indicate charging, or speaker and LED "eat" all of the power?

It will need some form of rather more complex, active electronics to make it work as you want it to.

Any really simple current sensing circuit will reduce the voltage out of the charger, unfortunately, so it probably would not be able to properly charge anything.

What is the current rating of the charger output - or the current input rating of the device being charged?

Photos of the charger and whatever it charges would be useful.

Connecting a LED in series with the output will reduce the voltage by anything from about 1.8V to 3V or so, depending on the LED colour.

What type of "speaker" are you wanting to use? A simple loudspeaker needs an audio signal fed to it, to give a tone or beep. A piezo buzzer would produce sound as long as it had power connected, as those have the audio oscillator built in to produce the tone.

If it would be difficult to make it still charge, i could drop it. Because it would be just a secondary function, because right now when i connect LED to "+" wire - device doesn't charge. I don't mind that. Main function would be just to check if power comes from outlet to device. I could give you photo tomorrow.
Also a simple buzzer would be enough. Because the point of the circuit would be just to make sure power is there. But from what i know - speakers (even buzzers) need more components than just "+" wire, right?

A LED with a suitable value series resistor, eg. 180 or 220 Ohms for a red LED, connected across the 4.5V output, would show that power is on.

Likewise a small piezo buzzer could be connected across the output, however that would sound all the time power is on.

Many so-called "chargers" are just power supplies, and the actual battery charge control is in the device being charged.
(eg. Anything that charges via a USB socket).

However some devices do have the "intelligence" to control the charge in the external unit. If that is the case with yours, adding anything across the output that takes more than trivial power may upset the charging system.
For that type, I'd only consider an ultra-bright LED with a high value resistor so the current is very low (which keeps the brightness to a sensible level).

Is it for something that uses NiCd or NiMH cells? 4.5V would be a standard for three of those types of cells?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back