Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[ASK] 15 A powersupply with 12v~15v

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forget computers, you are not doing anything with computers.
You need to make a box, out of insulation, with one side the cold of your TEC, and the other the heat sink.

Like this....
TEC freezer.png

the heat pump that u mean is square thing that got 2 cable/wires then it connect to the box? after that put peltier on it?

Heat pump = peltier = TEC. All the same thing.

how can i lower it the peltier temperature, use 2 peltier 150W cold side to heat pump, cold side to hot side?

Yes. Cold side of one, hot side of the other.

TEC2_TOP.jpg

can really make ice?

6126_07_digital_storm_empowers_supreme_processor_performance_with_cryo_tec_cooling_system_full.jpg

okay here the story... i got mini cool box from my dad to use in college, then after few month the Peltier not function anymore so i can fix it by change the peltier but i think if i going to change the peltier better i use bigger Power(W) peltier to make it more cool(low temperature) or even can make ice... u post a picture of multistage peltier, i think i will not found that one in my country, so i will attach two peltier each other but can i use high Watt peltier to box then lower watt peltier to cool the peltier hot side or it need same Watt peltier? what effect the peltier cooling or function, current or voltage so i might know it need to set as parallel or series...

i upload picture for my setup... pls guide me...

here the box :

inside the box
DSC_0025 (1).jpg

back of the box (i not use the powersupply circuit anymore and use other powersupply because it generate heat and reduce the cooling in the box)
DSC_0028.jpg

The thing is already old and found an open area when closing the box
DSC_0029.jpg

My AMD stock air fan
DSC_0026.jpg

Peltier
DSC_0027.jpg

position/location of peltier and air fan
DSC_0030.jpg

got open hole/leak when peltier in it position but never produce water at the back of the box only in the box got water produced
DSC_0031.jpg

To make a two stage Pelter cooling system work you will need to have the higher wattage one cooling the lower wattage one. Overall cooling efficiency will be lower but the cold side temperature limit will be lower in exchange.

Depending on the cooling efficiency of the higher wattage unit you may need a 2:1 or possibly a 3:1 wattage ratio between them which means that your present 150 watt cooler would be the large one and the smaller second one would need to be in the 50 - 75 watt rage if they are both of reasonable efficiency. If not you smaller one may have to be down in the 40 - 50 watt range.

Also the larger cooler will need to have a good sized heat sink being that it will be trying to dump as much as 300 watts of heat energy at any one time when the system is running.

As far as making ice it should be easy if your box is insulated well enough and you can keep your outside heat sink temperature as close to ambient temperature as possible.

One issue I see is that using a common computer power supply is that its wattage rating is intended to be spread out over all of its outputs and not just one output such as the 12 VDC circuit. Trying to pull all or nearly all of the rated wattage off of the 12 VDC output alone will cause it to have a short life expectancy and typically very poor voltage regulation when it is working.

Ideally you should have dedicated power supply if you are planning to be running higher wattages on a single output system.

where is the transfer side of the peltier located on the inside of the box?

inside the box got square line and 4 screw...

To make a two stage Pelter cooling system work you will need to have the higher wattage one cooling the lower wattage one. Overall cooling efficiency will be lower but the cold side temperature limit will be lower in exchange.

Depending on the cooling efficiency of the higher wattage unit you may need a 2:1 or possibly a 3:1 wattage ratio between them which means that your present 150 watt cooler would be the large one and the smaller second one would need to be in the 50 - 75 watt rage if they are both of reasonable efficiency. If not you smaller one may have to be down in the 40 - 50 watt range.

Also the larger cooler will need to have a good sized heat sink being that it will be trying to dump as much as 300 watts of heat energy at any one time when the system is running.

As far as making ice it should be easy if your box is insulated well enough and you can keep your outside heat sink temperature as close to ambient temperature as possible.

One issue I see is that using a common computer power supply is that its wattage rating is intended to be spread out over all of its outputs and not just one output such as the 12 VDC circuit. Trying to pull all or nearly all of the rated wattage off of the 12 VDC output alone will cause it to have a short life expectancy and typically very poor voltage regulation when it is working.

Ideally you should have dedicated power supply if you are planning to be running higher wattages on a single output system.

like this? two stage peltier :
Heat sink/fan(Hot side)
________
|150Watt |
|________| <- Cold side
|75 Watt | <- Hot Side
|________| <- Cold Side
Insulated Box

for heatsink and fan here is more specification:
Material: Copper heatpipes, base w/ bonded aluminum fins
Heat Sink Size: 92W x 95L x 64H
Fan Size: 70 x 70 x 20mm
Voltage: 12VDC
Bearing: Dual Ball Bearings

which one should i change? if both, how to choose?

okay we back in main topic, so i need to fix the power supply first... i will post the schematic diagram after i finish draw it... i hope with the schematic i can get help to modified it to support higher wattage...

like this? two stage peltier :
Heat sink/fan(Hot side)
________
|150Watt |
|_______| <- Cold side
|75 Watt | <- Hot Side
|_______| <- Cold Side
Insulated Box

Yes. Just like that.

for the heat sink i cant find for 300 Watt... so i research CPU heat sink and make comparison between two product including price in my country...

it state it can maximum cooling of 300 watt heat : Artic FreeZer 13 Pro - 139

after see comparison chart from many website i found out this can beat in term of temperature : **broken link removed** - 99

this suitable?

Are you sure you even need that much cooling power to begin with for such a small unit?

My full sized refrigerator with a built in freezer section at the top, which is probably a little bigger that your whole unit, only uses around 180 watts.

Are you sure you even need that much cooling power to begin with for such a small unit?

My full sized refrigerator with a built in freezer section at the top, which is probably a little bigger that your whole unit, only uses around 180 watts.

really? can you guide me through the setup? i got problem to freeze thing in the box to ice... when i on the box, after few hours there always has water flow under the box... its like the temperature cant maintain very well...

after reading back your post... i think i misunderstood you... u mean market refrigerator and not DIY right? that refrigerator use what kind of technology to make low temperature... as mine use peltier, most people will said that peltier not efficient because required lot of power and produce much heat, but this only thing i can think for price(cheap)...

one more question... if i change full bridge diode/rectifier with Silicon Controlled Rectifier (SCR) how will it function/efficient/Volt-current loss... as i read through electronic device/component i found that SCR can change AC to DC...

after i search about power supply i found that some are use multiple rail and some use single rail... this is what you mean? better use single rail than multiple rail so it not divide the 12volt to multiple?

It looks like a thermal switch, It opens when it get to a certain temperature and closes when it cools down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back