Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Are Computer Video Card PCB's made equal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

solaraxis

I'm trying to find some resources and figure out if and what I can replace my MSI 1070TI Turbo GTX card's heatsink with. I have a PNY 1060 3GB one handy with dual fans and an open design. My MSI card is easily hitting 80 degrees C under stress, and I need to open up it's airflow because it is designed to pull in through a single fan and exhaust through the closed heatsink and out the back of the computer. Is it an option to swap it with the PNY heatsink?

A lot of nvidia-based cards are based on the nvidia reference versions so have compatible heatsink fittings, thought there are quite a lot of variations.

How warm are the case side getting? If the air in the case is warm, the video card cannot cool properly..
The best option is a sealed-system liquid cooler for the CPU, with the fans blowing the heat straight out the case.
Without the CPU dumping heat in the case, the rest of the machine should run cool.

PC-Internal.JPG

I have a coolermaster case with i think 3, possibly 4-5 (lol) fans keeping it cool and the back side panel is off leave a few open gaps for cable management . My CPU (i5 4690) is barely reaching 50 degrees C under load. The GPU temperatures persist whether or not i clock boost.

So there's a few things going on in this picture. 1-MSI Kombuster stress test is a still image not represented by the graph. 2.I ran stress test in full screen for 1 minute, represented by that graph. 3. my GPU temperature in Kombuster is red regadless of it's temperature. Is that normal? 4. Notice how I don't reach peak GPU usage while stress testing and that I am not throttling the GPU in MSI afterburner. I also ran the test with the default settings and clocks with the same result shown here.
multytti.jpg

I got this card second hand. I wonder if they cooked the thermal solution and its throttling...

Last edited:
Make sure the fan blades are clean. I just trashed a card because it picked up so much lint/dust that the mini-fans on the video card didn't turn.

I reapplied thermal compound and took an air compressor to the heat sink and my temperatures have balanced out quite nicely, not going above 65 degrees c. the factory thermal paste for some reason spilled over the sides and was sort of displaced and insulating the socket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back