Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Are all capacitors equal? Replacement for Lux Turntable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Brown

Not sure if the images below are going to work but here goes...
I have a blown up old capacitor... in the power supply of a beautiful, old turntable that I happened upon.
Plenty of specs written on the outside... 0.047UF, 250v, fo=5.8MHz, SND, Rita brand, -40/+85degC... hard shell plastic around can't really tell what inside... about 20x15x5mm.

I can find plenty of modern type caps with matching specs, as little as a dollar... I just don't know enough to decide whether to just get any old one or try for a specific type.

Like I said, the blown one I removed came from an inline wire possibly taking 240v from the transformer to a store unit... can't quite tell.

Care to comment?

open

open

open

No images MB.

I think you mean that the capacitor manufacturer is Rifa rather than Rita.

And are they Rifa type PME rather than SND?

As you are from Australia your mains supply will be 240V (or near) at 50Hz. Is that correct?

No not all capacitors are the same, even if they have the same capacitance value and voltage rating. There are quite a few other parameters that are not written on the capacitor itself.

But the good news is that if we can get the answers to the above questions we should be able to suggest a suitable alternative- Rifa were taken over quite a while ago, as far as I know.

spec

Some information:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=69128

Last edited:
Hi Spec,
This is promising...
Yes Rifa looks right.
Some more details on the casing...
PME
271M
C6/76
GPF next to the temp rating.
Yes we are 240v at 50Hz.
I put one of the images as my profile pic... I'll try the othe pics again another way.
Cheers,
Matt.

The same caps I had to replace inside my BBCB .... Paper caps.. Mine had a voltage issue... They were re-manufactured to cope with 260v..

Whoops.. Picture
100nF_RIFA_X2.jpg
Yes, those and the dark brown Wima types were very unreliable. :eek:

spec

Last edited:
Hi Spec,
This is promising...
Yes Rifa looks right.
PME
271M
C6/76
Yes we are 240v at 50Hz.
I put one of the images as my profile pic... I'll try the othe pics again another way.
Cheers,
Matt.

HI MB,

Thanks for the fast response and definitive information.

Who is your preferred suppler. The capacitor has some safety issues so needs to be a class X type and I don't think that Jaycar will be able to supply.

Other men from Oz have used RS Australia under such circumstances.

spec

Last edited:
Just some information about capacitor safety class:

X Capacitors: Also known as "across the line capacitors." Class X safety capacitors are used between the "live" wires carrying the incoming AC current. These capacitors are used in applications where failure of the capacitor will not lead to risk of electrical shock to the user. A capacitor failure in this position will usually cause a fuse or circuit breaker to open.

Y Capacitors: Also known as "line to ground capacitors" (line bypass.) Y capacitors are used in applications where failure of the capacitor could lead to the danger of electrical shock to the user, if the ground connection is lost.

X/Y Capacitors: Some safety capacitors come with a combination designation. For Example , X1/Y2. This simply means that the capacitor can be used as an X1 capacitor in an "across the line" application, or as a Y2 capacitor in the "line to ground" portion of the circuit.

Hi Spec,
Yes Rifa looks right.
PME
271M
C6/76
Yes we are 240v at 50Hz.

There seems to be some confusion about the value of the capacitor in your above post '271M' indicates 270 picrofarad. But on your pictures the faulty capacitor is marked 0.047uF (0.047 micro farads). Can you please clarify the capacitor marking.

spec

Thanks Spec,
I really appreciate the time you've put into this question for me, and the information you've given me.
0.047uF has to be correct... its the clearest marking on the casing as you can see in the photos. 217M must mean something else.
I'll probably by from element-14 (https://au.element14.com/) but the examples in the link yo0u gave me are probably enough to help me choose one.
Thanks again.
MB

Thanks Spec,
I really appreciate the time you've put into this question for me, and the information you've given me.
0.047uF has to be correct... its the clearest marking on the casing as you can see in the photos. 217M must mean something else.
I'll probably by from element-14 (https://au.element14.com/) but the examples in the link yo0u gave me are probably enough to help me choose one.
Thanks again.
MB
No probs MB.

Hope you get your turntable back on air OK

spec

(make sure you get an X rated polypropylene capacitor with a voltage of at least 275V)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back