Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Arduino and hacked LED Xmas lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

denno

Hi all, I need some help/guidance/confirmation that the idea I've got is about right.. I have 5 sets of christmas LED lights, which have their own wall wart power supply, and their own 'function box' for the flashing etc. I don't like that they never do the same flashing effect, so I want to replace every one of the function boxes with a single Arduino.

I've created a block diagram to illustrate what I would like to do, and would like to know if this is a decent plan of attack.
The reason for using a tip31 transistor is because.. well I have them already.. But if something else will serve better there, then I can purchase them instead.
You'll also notice that there are 2 transistors per LED string, this is because each of them have 2 individual strings twisted together, so this way I'll still be able to access both string separately.

Also, the hardware that I was planning on purchasing off eBay are as follows:
PSU:
**broken link removed**
24V to 12V step down:
**broken link removed**

Thanks heaps
Luke

Attachments

• LED Xmas.png
    LED Xmas.png
    149.1 KB · Views: 136
Last edited: