Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Application Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

REB1102

Does anyone know the components involved in making a device that will sound an alarm when it senses the difference between two platforms where an object can be placed on each platform. It needs to sense a difference in weight of approx 20 lbs. The working weights involved are between 60 and 150 pounds.

BeautyandtheBeast@kc.rr.com

go to stores and check for sensors do this job....or get strain gauges(type of sensors) and use ADC and microcontroller to know the weight..and u can do many functions with that not only knowing the more heavy object also reading the exact weight

hi REB,
Looking at your weight ranges, 60 thru 150 lbs, with a difference weight
of 20lbs, I make that about 70 states, ie; 150-130, 149-129 etc...

My first suggestion would a load cell under each platform, depending upon the outside dimensions of your platform.

You would need some amplification of the load cell signal, before you fed it
into a analog to digitial convertors. Depending upon the resolution you required you may be able to use the ADC in the PIC.

You could use a 'voltage threshold window' method by comparing the outputs of the signal amplifiers, no PIC required.
Just amplify the load cell signals, sum/difference the two signals into a comparator and use the output to sound an alarm.
This would be my preferred solution, looking at the resolution you state.

You can either buy the finished load cells [ there not cheap ] or attempt to use strain gauge elements
[ I would not recommend this route, unless you have lots of experience]

Regards
EricG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back