Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Anyone with a hobby mini-lathe here ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Externet

Hi.
If someone plays with a hobby lathe, please let me know if I can have a small piece made to link two rotating items. No machinists nearby my town. :(
At once, will tell what I need:

One 25 mm long shaft.
Half of its length 5.0 mm diameter.
The other half 7.0 mm diameter.
In any steel.

Will pay, of course. Better if within U.S.

I have a Micro Lathe see below image. As has already been said, you need to provide tolerances. Also, must it be steel? Aluminum is much easier to work with. I can probably do what you want for free, just cover shipping, however I would like to see due diligence on your part, ie. create a drawing. :)

lathe.JPG

Not wanting to be left out of this "turning frenzy", I too have a small (3.5inch centre height) lathe.

JimB

I have a Micro Lathe see below image. As has already been said, you need to provide tolerances. Also, must it be steel? Aluminum is much easier to work with. I can probably do what you want for free, just cover shipping, however I would like to see due diligence on your part, ie. create a drawing. :)

He's also got the same request over on AAC as well.

As with you I'd knock it out for free being its such a simple part and it's easily doable just as a lathe tolerances test and tune procedure when setting up for a larger job. ;)

Someone else over there however feels it worth $100 (with a 50% off discount to other forum members of course). :rolleyes:

Not wanting to be left out of this "turning frenzy", I too have a small (3.5inch centre height) lathe.

JimB

I just picked up a antique Burke #4 horizontal mill (late 30 to mid 40's vintage) last week I am fixing up to set up as a dedicated keyway and slot cutting machine so if he needs a keyway cut in it I could do that too! :p

Well, probably not actually being I don't think I have a slot cutter that small. :oops:

Grateful to your overwhelming response, gentlemen.

Tolerance +/- 0.1 mm to diameters, +/- 1mm to length.
If any steel is too vague, whatever ironish piece of remnants or stainless will do very well, but not from a broken drillbit shank. Will have little torque and nothing important. Not keyed.
Mailing and labor covered; and if you want some free electronic parts on top, make a wish list; I may be lucky and have it.

Understand the convenience of a drawing (I would ask the same), but perhaps a picture of a similar piece works:

P1010651.JPG

Grateful to your overwhelming response, gentlemen.

Tolerance +/- 0.1 mm to diameters, +/- 1mm to length.
If any steel is too vague, whatever ironish piece of remnants or stainless will do very well, but not from a broken drillbit shank. Will have little torque and nothing important. Not keyed.
Mailing and labor covered; and if you want some free electronic parts on top, make a wish list; I may be lucky and have it.

Understand the convenience of a drawing (I would ask the same), but perhaps a picture of a similar piece works:

Pretty much what I envisioned.

I think any of us with a lathe could knock out one, or several, for you in short order given your dimensions and tolerances. +-.1 mm tolerances is pretty easy to hit.

The other week I had to replace the nozzle holder for my used oil burner and given that buying one cost around $20 with shipping now I decided to make my own from a piece of brass hex stock I had that was the same base dimension as the store bought ones.

Once I was set up (took about 20 minutes since my brother used it for making something else entirely different earlier) I could knock one out start to finish to +- .002 tolerances including boring and threading the inside in under 5 minutes each. I only needed one but once I was set up and going it made more sense to make half a dozen now rather than mess with having to set up again some day later if I ever needed another one.

That's one of the annoyances I have with doing basic lathe work. Setup to make something simple often takes more time and effort than making one of even a bunch of something does once everything isset up and going.

I miss the shop I had access to. I would actually expect something like +0.00 mm -0.1 mm so it fits assuming a set screw. I'll bet your length could even be sloppier. Your the boss though. Little things like a chamferred edge like you'd get with a file would make the part want to "find the hole". in any part I made I really never specified the finish.

You could check for fun, Stock Drive Products for shaft reducers. So for like a 1/4 to 1/8 reducer, "they" bore a 1/4 shaft to 1/8 and lop off 1/4 of it so the set screw sees the 1/8 shaft. Precision shafting has high tolerances so it's straight and has a sliding fit through the hole. This is where 0.001 inch over/under reamers come into play when your making gears and bearings.

Please take this stuff as comments only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back