Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

"Anyone on this FORUM have a FAKE email address?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary350

I tried to log onto a forum that I have not been too in several years and it wont let me log in. I tried to recover my password it wont let me do that. I tried to register again and it tells me my HOTMAIL Address has already been used. I contacted the forum an I am told I need a READ Email address to get on the forum, HOTMAIL is not a REAL email? Wow they fooled me I have had Hotmail about 20 years and I am registered to about 65 forums that I almost never go to anymore.

I ask the forum, what is a REAL email and got no answer?

How many people on this forum have Hotmail?

Are there other FAKE email addresses?

What is a REAL email address?

I tried to log onto a forum that I have not been too in several years and it wont let me log in. I tried to recover my password it wont let me do that. I tried to register again and it tells me my HOTMAIL Address has already been used. I contacted the forum an I am told I need a READ Email address to get on the forum, HOTMAIL is not a REAL email? Wow they fooled me I have had Hotmail about 20 years and I am registered to about 65 forums that I almost never go to anymore.

I ask the forum, what is a REAL email and got no answer?

How many people on this forum have Hotmail?

Are there other FAKE email addresses?

What is a REAL email address?

I would agree to some extent, it's not a 'real' email address - it's a webmail address.

A 'real' one is something like anyone@domainname.com etc.

I am thinking along the same lines as Nigel:
Email

• An email program on your computer allows you to send and receive email without using an Internet web browser, but you still must have an Internet connection.

Webmail

• Webmail is a web-based email system that allows you to send and receive email online from their website. So, you must also have an internet connection. Webmail is downloaded into a temporary folder on your computer that gets deleted.

Email Programs

• Examples of email programs on your computer that would allow you to check email without using a web browser include Outlook, Outlook Express, Netscape and Thunderbird.

Webmail Providers

• Examples of webmail providers online are Yahoo, Earthlink and Gmail.

Downloading Email

• You can download your webmail to an email program so that you don't have to read your email on a web browser.

That is all I can figure they are getting at using the term Real Email account.

Ron

I am thinking along the same lines as Nigel:

That is all I can figure they are getting at using the term Real Email account.

Ron

I am not sure I know what your saying? A computer is a machine that runs programs. Programs allows me to read all email no matter where it comes from, with any email I choose to use.

I have changed internet services several times in the past few years. Earthlink changed to Sprint then service went down the toilet so I changed to another serice where I never received what I was paying for so I changed again. The next service was $19.99 per month for a year then price jumped to $90 a month. I changed again price was $55.00 a month for a year then went to $85 a month. Now I have another service $56 a month. The last 3 services had no email unless I upgrade to $75 per month. It is good to have a place like Hotmail so I dont have to change email addresses every time I change service. All I need is Email and a service fast enough to watch Netflex. Now that I am retired living on SS I need to watch my pennies. I have no telephone, no cable TV, cheap internet it saves me $3000 a year.

Antenna TV is free and the TV stations are bending over backwards to provide programs = to or better than cable TV with less commercials. I get 55 channels plus $7 a month for Netflix more and better movies and programs than I care to watch. Email is free so who needs a cell phone. I got along fine with no cell phone 40 years ago so why do i need one now. I have been thinking about switching to Gmail or Yahoo are those FAKE emails too? Hotmail has turned into such a pain in the @$$ they have it fixed now so you can not read emails until all the advertisements have completely loaded. Everytime I click to the next page, send, receive, reply, etc I am FORCED to wait for all advertisements to load. They want to make sure I see those advertisements.

Last edited:
I agree with Nigel.

My family owns a domain. Never any spam on that account. I think the only way to avoid spam is to have a junk e-mail that you never look at for doing things like registering to get a price on something and one or more accounts for real business.

John

I am not sure I know what your saying? A computer is a machine that runs programs. Programs allows me to read all email no matter where it comes from, with any email I choose to use.

It's about how the computer accesses the email. For example if you use Gmail, Yahoo Email, HotMail, AOL web mail or several other similar email services they are web based email. You get to them using a browser via the internet. All of these services are indeed free and all of them include spam and advertising. I have a hotmail account I have not used in years. This is why I stated:

Webmail
Webmail is a web-based email system that allows you to send and receive email online from their website. So, you must also have an internet connection. Webmail is downloaded into a temporary folder on your computer that gets deleted.
I also said:
Email
An email program on your computer allows you to send and receive email without using an Internet web browser, but you still must have an Internet connection.

When you get your hotmail how do you access your hotmail account? Click a desktop icon that takes you to www.hotmail.com? Open a web browser and go to www.hotmail.com? The bottom line is how a program used as an email client will access your email. My email (some of my email accounts) run through my domain. just as John mentions above. When I retrieve email I do not use a web browser but rather use internet access to connect directly to an email exchange server at my domain. me@mydomain.com using my POP server (Post Office Protocol) for incoming email and SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) for outgoing email. This is done using any of several email client software like MS Outlook or Mozilla Thunderbird. While all of this is not free it does have its advantages.

(or web-based email) is any email client implemented as a web application running on a web server. Examples of webmail software are Roundcube and SquirrelMail. Examples of webmail providers are AOL Mail, Gmail, Outlook.com and Yahoo! Mail. Practically every webmail provider offers email access using a webmail client, and many of them also offer email access by a desktop email client using standard email protocols, while many internet service providers provide a webmail client as part of the email service included in their internet service package.

As with any web application, webmail's main advantage over the use of a desktop email client is the ability to send and receive email anywhere from a web browser. Its main disadvantage is the need to be connected to the internet while using it. There exist also other software tools to integrate parts of the webmail functionality into the OS (e.g. creating messages directly from third party applications via MAPI)

Unfortunately many online forums and similar activities have adopted policies where they disallow using web based email accounts. Why the term REAL is used I haven't a clue? I tried something you may want to try. I went here:
https://verify-email.org/ and entered my hotmail email and it comes back bad. I know it's good. I also tried my sister @aol.com and again bad and it's good. Then I tried my domain, me@mydomain.com and it was good. Give it a try.

Ron

It's about how the computer accesses the email. For example if you use Gmail, Yahoo Email, HotMail, AOL web mail or several other similar email services they are web based email. You get to them using a browser via the internet. All of these services are indeed free and all of them include spam and advertising. I have a hotmail account I have not used in years. This is why I stated:

Webmail
Webmail is a web-based email system that allows you to send and receive email online from their website. So, you must also have an internet connection. Webmail is downloaded into a temporary folder on your computer that gets deleted.

I also said:
Email
An email program on your computer allows you to send and receive email without using an Internet web browser, but you still must have an Internet connection.

When you get your hotmail how do you access your hotmail account? Click a desktop icon that takes you to www.hotmail.com? Open a web browser and go to www.hotmail.com? The bottom line is how a program used as an email client will access your email. My email (some of my email accounts) run through my domain. just as John mentions above. When I retrieve email I do not use a web browser but rather use internet access to connect directly to an email exchange server at my domain. me@mydomain.com using my POP server (Post Office Protocol) for incoming email and SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) for outgoing email. This is done using any of several email client software like MS Outlook or Mozilla Thunderbird. While all of this is not free it does have its advantages.

Unfortunately many online forums and similar activities have adopted policies where they disallow using web based email accounts. Why the term REAL is used I haven't a clue? I tried something you may want to try. I went here:
https://verify-email.org/ and entered my hotmail email and it comes back bad. I know it's good. I also tried my sister @aol.com and again bad and it's good. Then I tried my domain, me@mydomain.com and it was good. Give it a try.

Ron

I had Earthlink for many years no advertiswments then 1 day it had advertisements. Then earthlink changed to sprint then it was loaded with advertisements. The service went form good to bad to worse. We use to live 1/2 mile from the server and our internet was lightning fast. Then Sprint came along our speed dropped so slow we could not watch Netflex, movie would play 30 seconds then load for 60 second it took 3 hours to watch a 1 hour movie. Only way we could watch movies was down load them in the middle of the night and when we were gone to work to the HD and watch them off the HD later. I recently learned all those advertisements are local and they all come from the local server. My hotmail is loaded with a columb along the right hand side of the page that is all advertisements. I can not read email until all those advertisements have finished loading. Once I am forced to see the advertisements then I can click and move on. Then same problem on the next page once I am forced to see the advertisements on that page I can click and move on. Wow what a nightmare. Most of the forums are loaded with advertisements now some places are so bad with advertisements people got tired of it and stopped going there. That is one reason I stopped going to several of the forums I use to, just got tried of being advertised to death. Advertisements every place you look, advertisements on TV, advertisements on radio, advertisements on the internet, advertisements in the mail, advertisements stuck on my front door, advertisements in the driveway, advertisements under my wind shield wiper, advertisements signs along the street, advertisements on vehicles, advertisements on sales receipts, you can not get away from advertisements.

So far I have only come across 1 forum where they want a REAL email address. That will limit their available customers. That is their problem not mine.

Sometimes I wonder if anyone ever buys all that stuff advertised? :)

Ron

yep, try to get a server at home to email you at Yahoo or gmail. Forget it. The only way I receive those messages, I think, is that I have another email associated with that account. I never used my verizon address for anything but logging into Verizon and my <sombody@"> to authenticate to my modem. There is plenty of Spam at the verizon address.

One day, I might have time to devote, but for now, nope.

Yahoo has removed so many services (movies, weather) and has destroyed others (mail, groups) and Google has done the same.

Yahoo
mail is effectively HTML only. You cab't cut/paste in TEXT mode. Underlining is missing.

gmail
Give you a postage stamp sized box to compose in and folders are so hard to get to, especially the SPAM folder. Typing "in: Spam" is easier.

I used to use Pine for email on a Unix system. It was straight text. I basically loved it. Setting up spam filtering on your own was a PITA. The entity eventually bought email appliances to handle email.

WHo knows what a newsreader is? I had a mac (OS 8/9) once and I could make a 100 mb file from the newsgroup, transfer it. Delete it since I didn't have that much quota. Run it through a program and poof, out came a bunch of files from the parts. I don't even know how to do that anymore on any system.

In the early Internet, I was the guy to come to if you could not open a file. I had programs that could decode MIME

USENET is not central, not censored and not likely permanent.. Webistes are censored information.

Face it, the Internet is getting MUCH HARDER to use.

Most ISP's have dropped newsgroups and webspaces. So, now they are subscription only. So, now you have services that can pretend you exist in another country or state for that matter. I was unsuccessful in one attempt to visit the "dark web".

How "fake" all those Gmail, Yahoo Email, HotMail, AOL et al could be if I can send messages to them / receive from them in my PC using my paid email service? Not frequently at all but I could do.

I see frequently the "spam yes / spam no" reason to qualify them. As long as your email addresses do not enter a certain circuit, you could consider it safe. But you cannot guarantee it. Who actually could? And how? Give me 50 seconds in your PC and maybe you won't anymore.

Maybe, it is more a semantics problem.

I agree with Nigel.

My family owns a domain. Never any spam on that account. I think the only way to avoid spam is to have a junk e-mail that you never look at for doing things like registering to get a price on something and one or more accounts for real business.

John

How do you actually arrange that? How should I do it?

If I move, most probably I will have to change the address I use in my activity and it would be good to solve this once for all.

There are countless companies who you can do it through, this is the UK one I currently use:

**broken link removed**

Just google domain hosting for your country.

How do you actually arrange that? How should I do it?

If I move, most probably I will have to change the address I use in my activity and it would be good to solve this once for all.

Since you are in Argentina you would likely **broken link removed** but you really need to ask yourself if a domain name through a WPP (Web Presence Provider) is worth it? When you sign up for Internet service for example you use an ISP (Internet Service Provider) and that ISP will generally provide you with one or more email accounts. These accounts are standard email accounts, that is the mail goes through a regular email exchange server and is not web based email. When you own a domain through a WPP you also have email accounts included. The difference is for example a email account provided through a ISP will be me@roadrunner.com and when you have your own domain it will be me@mydomain.com. Both of these email accounts would use standard email protocols and neither is web based email. The problem with the ISP provided email is as you mentioned. If you relocate to an area not covered by your ISP you lose that account, not much sense in paying an ISP for a service, the Internet, you can't access just to maintain and email account. If you own a domain you are pretty much covered globally.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back