Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Anyone know of a wireless charging receiver with power jack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisK.....

I bought a GSM desktop phone for my Mum.
I wanted to covert it to wireless charging but it has a power jack.
51ChoeplJuL.jpg
072612_751.png

I bought a charging mat but:
The only wireless charging receivers I can find are micro USB (etc)
s-l640.png
71%2Bcx3HlTvL._SX425_.jpg

Anyone know of a wireless charging receiver with power jack?
OR any form of Power Jack to USB converter? Ideas?

You are simply looking at the physical plug instead of looking at the very important voltage and current.
Without the proper voltage and current then you might have a very hot fire and explosion of the charger circuit and battery inside the phone.
If the phone charger is designed for 5V at 1A then the wireless receiver can have the micro USB cutoff and the proper plug installed with the correct +/- polarity.

What is the point?, the idea of wireless charging is so you can simply drop your mobile on the wireless pad (for those too idle to insert a plug). This is a home phone, so no need for that, and is it even rechargable? - there's no reason for it to be.

What is the point?, the idea of wireless charging is so you can simply drop your mobile on the wireless pad (for those too idle to insert a plug). This is a home phone, so no need for that, and is it even rechargable? - there's no reason for it to be.
It's a desk cell phone, so almost certainly rechargeable. The big aerial and lack of wires in the picture mean that it's a cell phone.

I have never seen a desk cell phone and have never seen a cell phone with a big aerial.

I guess nobody knows how to do this

Probably because it's a silly idea - the receiving part is built in mobile phones, so no one makes external ones as there's no need for them.

But essentially the entire concept is simply two coils of a transformer, you would need to find out what coil you need to wind for the 'receiver' side of the tranaformer, and then process it to meet the requirements of the phone.

The wireless receiver "is already" a coil of wire and probably a rectifier. You need to cut off the micro USB, determine which wire is + and which wire is - then connect the suitable plug to it.

I do not know the voltage and current needed to charge the battery in your phone or if your phone has a filter and voltage regulator in it.
Then the wireless charging might not work or might damage the phone.

I did look at cutting off the usb and fitting a power jack but the wires look so small I can't see it working so I figured wireless charging might have made its way to devices other than mobiles. They all seem to be 5 voltish so I'm happy to risk it. I guess it's back to plan a and butcher the usb

Probably because it's a silly idea - the receiving part is built in mobile phones, so no one makes external ones as there's no need for them.

Qi wireless charging receivers are a thing, for phones that don't have them built in. Indeed, the original poster has a picture of one in his first post.

The question no one has asked is what the voltage of the wireless phone charger is. If it's 5 volts, it's just a matter of adapting the connections to the phone.

Chrisk, what are the ratings on the charger for the wireless phone? If it's 5 volts, this won't be too complicated. If it's more than 5 volts, wireless charging is going to be complicated.

Assuming it's 5 volts, it's a matter of adapting the connections. There are various ways this could be done. This approach requires some simple soldering. I haven't found an Off-The-Shelf adapter.

First, I would start with a Qi receiver with a USB micro B connector.

Next, get a USB micro socket breakout board. This one is from Sparkfun but they should also be available on ebay. The Qi receiver will plug into this board.

SmartSelect_20190129-121417_Firefox.jpg

The tricky part is finding a cable with the right size barrel connector to fit the phone connector. This come in many different sizes, but some careful measurements will help you figure it out. Find the right cable on ebay, or check at local thrift stores for a charging module with the right size cable that can be cut off. Connect the wires to Vcc (+ 5 volts) and ground on the breakout board, matching the polarity of the barrel connector to what's needed for the phone. Usually, the center is positive and the outside is negative but it should be marked near the jack.

If soldering is a problem, you can get a

**broken link removed**, cut off the other end and connect it to a cable that fits the phone as described above. Insulate all the connections with electrical tape.[/URL]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back