Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Anyone know if anyone in the UK programs washing machine micros?

Status
Not open for further replies.

olly_k

So my washing machine failed. Seems that the Triac driving an auxiliary wash pump has failed, and because it is connected directly to the output pin of the micro it has taken that out too!

So bloody annoyed they cannot be bothered to add some isolation!

The micro is an ATMEL and easy enough to source... If only I knew someone with the same washer!

Does anyone know if there are techs who offer this service in the UK?

Even if you had a board with a good micro it is probably read protected so you could not copy it.

Les.

I agree, the micro will almost certainly be read protected - and no spares available for the board either - the service procedure is to replace the entire board (at huge expense).

Yeah but hoping I can find a hoover tech willing to flash the micro. I am told they can do this... Just hoping someone may come forward!

Bloody annoying though, that something can be so simple to repair, but in reality will probably be a write-off!

Yeah but hoping I can find a hoover tech willing to flash the micro. I am told they can do this... Just hoping someone may come forward!

To be honest that sounds highly unlikely - washing machine (and all white goods) engineers are fairly basically trained, and it would be rare for one to have any understanding of electronics - basically it's a mechanical job with a little electrics thrown in.

This is why there's never been any spares availability for PCB's, and just a straight board swap. Although to be fair, it's gone mostly that way for other domestic electronics in recent decades - new stuff is too cheap to make it viable to keep spares and provide decent service.

The 'proper' makes of Microwave ovens often used to provide circuit diagrams of the electronics boards, but even then very few parts were available - but at least having a circuit gave you something to start from (if you were so inclined). Microwave engineers were basically washing machine type guys, so little electronics knowledge, so no need for components. We were different, we were TV guys doing Microwaves, as opposed to washing machine guys doing Microwaves.

Yeah but hoping I can find a hoover tech willing to flash the micro.
If not sanctioned by the manufacturer that might involve a breach of copyright.

Even if you had a board with a good micro it is probably read protected so you could not copy it.
i've got a development board for a common micro used in various smart appliances, and yes it has a "fuse" that can permanently disable the ability to read the rom.

To be honest that sounds highly unlikely - washing machine (and all white goods) engineers are fairly basically trained, and it would be rare for one to have any understanding of electronics - basically it's a mechanical job with a little electrics thrown in.

This is why there's never been any spares availability for PCB's, and just a straight board swap. Although to be fair, it's gone mostly that way for other domestic electronics in recent decades - new stuff is too cheap to make it viable to keep spares and provide decent service.

The 'proper' makes of Microwave ovens often used to provide circuit diagrams of the electronics boards, but even then very few parts were available - but at least having a circuit gave you something to start from (if you were so inclined). Microwave engineers were basically washing machine type guys, so little electronics knowledge, so no need for components. We were different, we were TV guys doing Microwaves, as opposed to washing machine guys doing Microwaves.
I was informed that Hoover engineers can reprogram the PCB, and there is a chap selling 'Blank' PCB's on eBay but doesn't program. I wonder if he has fixed similar faults and sells on without warranty? I asked and he doesn't offer the service apparently.

It's a shame as it was a damn good machine. 3-phase motor driven from a very compact inverter with DSP. I found the culprit when stripped - there is an extra pump used for internal drum jets. This was a shaded pole motor with physical isolation between rotor and windings, as you would expect, but water has still managed to get to the coil and effectively produced a heavy current at some point, killing the triac, and uP :-(

Gutted but it served us well and was second-hand when we got it 7 years ago!

To be fair though there was a ISCP header on the baord, so perhaps an engineer with the right kit could have done it!

I was informed that Hoover engineers can reprogram the PCB, and there is a chap selling 'Blank' PCB's on eBay but doesn't program. I wonder if he has fixed similar faults and sells on without warranty? I asked and he doesn't offer the service apparently.

I'm extremely dubious - although there's certainly a chance that engineers within Hoover 'may' have access to the equipment and files required, but it's unlikely the guy out on the street actually doing the work do.

What's with the Ebay guy?, what's the point of selling useless blank boards.

I wonder if the "programming" is actually more a parameter setting / config to match a generic board for a whole series of machines to a specific machine model?

I wonder if the "programming" is actually more a parameter setting / config to match a generic board for a whole series of machines to a specific machine model?

That sounds far more likely, a simple configuration setting to match a generic board to a specific model. Although to be honest, that sounds FAR too sensible and clever for a washing machine manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back