Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Anyone here sharp on Lead Acid battery charging and desulfating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Mosaic.
I have replace a few lead acids in mobile plant and marine applications, both tend to suffer neglect.
A neglected battery seems to last a season, ie less than a year and ones that are maintained have lasted between 5 and 10 years.

A neglected battery becomes a prime candidate for regeneration as the sulfation is reasonably reversible. If the battery is swollen (+ve grid corrosion / excess sulfation) it develops cracks in the plate grid and possibly punctured plate separators and should be recycled.

Makes sense.
The thing I've noticed however with mobile plant operators is they only have an interest in reactive maintenance, 5k on a new battery because they destroyed the old one is no problem a sit gets them going, 500 on some gizmo to prolong life probably wont spark any interest.
When you have 36 cells in a traction battery if one swells up they can be a right pain to get out.

Human nature to be reactive. It's also why SLA or AGM batteries have a market...as ppl don't want to maintain the wet cell battery. Similarly It's why I developed the regenerator as opposed to the cheaper maintanier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back