Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

anyone had experiance with the 74c922

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone used the 74c922 16-key encoder chip? am just wondering whether you have experianced the same problems as i am!?

When i connect the data output pin via an inverter to the output enable pin, i will get what appears to be undebounced signals when i press a button although it says the debouncing is taken care of via a capacitor..

I cure this problem by connecting the output enable pin directly to ground but then when i press the a key the outputs latch! i don't want the outputs to latch, i am just wondering if anyone has come across the same/similar problem?

yeah i connect the data available pin via the inverter back to the output enable pin...

when i do this, before i push a button the data available pin is low therefore the output enable pin is held high and all outputs are low. However when i push a button on the key pad the data available pin goes high therefore the ouput enable pin goes low; which it does.

The problem seems to be when i release the button there are small spikes on each of the output lines! I have no idea what is causing these, these small spikes are being interpreted by the rest of the logic chips as logic '1's.

To cure this i connect the output enable pin directly to ground but then the outputs latch! which i do not want....

I also noticed that if i tie the output enable pin directly to +Vcc i.e. disable the outputs i still get these voltage spikes from the outputs when i press a button on the keypad!

Do you think there is possiblly a flaw with the chip or possible broken?!

The output enable is a tri-state control, meaning it forces the outputs to high impedance when it is at VCC. The logic levels are undefined in this state, and noise will easily show up as a result of key presses. If you are sending this data to another CMOS device, you can solve the problem by adding a 10kohm pulldown from each data output to GND. This will guarantee a logic "0" state when the outputs are disabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back