Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Anyone got a spare AVRISP MkI they want to part with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidKernel

Last night I killed my AVRISP MkI by accidentally hooking it up to 12V (along with all the other things on the breadboard that shouldn't have taken 12V).

I would buy the AVRISP MkII (USB) from Mouser or Digikey for $35 + shipping, but I'd rather just get someone's used MkI for a bit less.

If someone has one that's been collecting dust, I'll be more than happy to buy it off you. Thanks everyone!

Are you sure you actually killed it? I bought one ages ago, managed to screw it up, but there is a process you can go through to revive dead AVR MKI's, it involves shorting out a couple pins inside the programmer while powering it up which puts it into a 'pony prog' compatible programming mode which allows you to re-flash it. Worked like a charm on mine, you just have to make sure you keep those two wires shorted for like 5-10 seconds (docs say 2 but I hade to do it for over 5 to get mine to work) before it'll go into the ponyprog mode.

I didn't find this out till I bought my second one, I gave that one away a couple years ago, I still have one left, I'll check to make sure it works, but I have an STK500 now so it's of no use to me, if you can't revive yours. Check the AVRStudio help files it contains complete documentation on the AVR ISP. Even if you did completely wipe the main programing chip a second AVR ISP can be used to connect to a 6 pin ISP header in the ISP to reflash the base chip in the AVR ISP so don't toss it yet unless you actually let out the smoke, which is kind of hard to do with these programmers, I imagine there are quiet a few in land filles that could easily be revived.

Last edited:
Oh cool! Thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely try it out first.

I am pretty sure I smelled burning electronics when I plugged it in. It was on for maybe 4-5 seconds with 12V powering it and some of the data pins (although maybe it wasn't).

The two color LED does not light up anything, but I tested it with a DMM and it is getting a voltage (I have a feeling the LEDs are fried). I couldn't get it to talk to the computer, that's for sure. Maybe I fried my serial port while I was at it? haha.

But in either case, I'll check it out. Thanks for the info and if you do find the MkI, I'll be more than happy to buy it off you if this one can't be revived.

You'll have to find the docs for it, but find out how to put it in that programming mode I was talking about, it points out the two points you have to short, a simple piece of jumper wire works fine, just make sure you get good contact BEFORE you apply power and hold it for a good 5-10 seconds, at that point it's supposed to show up as a 'pony prog' capable programmer. If you get nothing at all out of it you very well may have fried it. Lemmi know if you get anywhere. I'll check to make sure this one still works by tomorrow.

Tried the manual programming trick and no luck, the AVRISP doesn't respond at all. If you could try to find your old one, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

My sons on his computer (only machine in the house with a serial port) so I'll make sure it works tomorrow sometimes when he's off someplace else. It's small so shipping shouldn't be more than a couple dollars which I'll cover if that turns out to be the case. PM me with your postal address so I can find out how much postage is really gonna be. Tommarow is a holiday though so it won't go out till Tuesday at the earliest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back