Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Anyone good with windows (xp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

elMickotanko

I have a problem with the task bar. My internet pages show up with a folder icon when there is too many folders and/or internet pages open. (see my attached picture). Therefore it groups them with my open folders. I just happened one day and i cant fix it. Any ideas?

I know it seems like not a big deal but its really bugging me.

Attachments

• folders.GIF
    folders.GIF
    20.8 KB · Views: 289
Right click on the task bar, select properties. Under the taskbar tab, de-select
"Group similar taskbar buttons" checkbox and apply..

Cheers. I was looking to stop internet pages turning into folders though. I want to group similar taskbar buttons, but not different ones (folders AND internet pages). It never used to do that?

We use Mozilla at work. I think i like that better because you can open one browser and have tabs along the top with different pages.
Mick.

If you want to keep ie, then download ie7 (requires a legal copy of xp). It is what i am using now. I like it. I havn't seen any bugs (yet). I also like firefox, so either way.

elMickotanko said:
Cheers. I was looking to stop internet pages turning into folders though. I want to group similar taskbar buttons, but not different ones (folders AND internet pages). It never used to do that?

Yes, you are right, it should only group the same applications.
Looking at your screen picture, it thinks they all belong to windows explorer.

Whilst it is possible to open web pages by clicking on "favorites" from within windows explorer, it should then show the windows explorer icon and not the ie one as shown in the picture.

I don't know why it has done that, all I can suggest is that you scan the pc for spyware etc just in case some malware has intercepted ie.

You might also want to try Opera; it actually saves any files you might be downloading when the Internet connection is interruptes.

You could always just get Firefox, they've had tabbed browsing support for a long time. I switched from IE to firefox about a year ago and never looked back. The plugins are better and easier to install as well as most of them auto update a lot less painfully than IE.

I suppose it's a matter of opinion and I don't want to get into a flame war with anyone here.

I switched from Internet Explorer to Firefox because it was plain boring and lacked features, I then switched to Opera because it's more lightweight (Firefox is a 4.7MB download while Opera is a 3.6MB download) and has more features. Whilst I can see how extensions can be a bonus, Opera has so many features I don't need any, they can also slow Firefox down and potentially pose and additional security risk (extensions aren't 100% safe, some can even break firefox).

I've tried IE7 and it's alright I suppose, I like the user interface and (unlike Firefox) it has proper page zooming but it lacks support for some web standards (mainly SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) (like WMF but better)) which I feel should be commonplace nowadays (and would be if it wasn't for IE).

Last edited:
I have use Firefox for a long time and think it is the best broswer IMHO.

When I saw the TABs I was sold. And the plugins work so well, however the plugin people do not seem to always keep up with the Firefox releases.

We use IE 7 at the office, but I will not switch. On the other hand, Firefox's nagging updates are starting to drive me nuts. :) but I can turn them off.

That part does remind me of M$ now.

Don't get me wrong though, I do prefer Firefox to IE in general.

What browsers have you tried?

I have personally have "tried" Safari, Opera, Eudora and a few othersl. And this is all over time.

But I always seem to end up back at Firefox (Mozilla before that). And Opera was a long time ago to be honest. Firefox seems to cross the OS platforms very well too.

Links2+FB support ftw!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back