Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Anyone else thinks this is insane!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian Rogers

User Extraordinaire
Forum Supporter
Most Helpful Member
I am an avid retro computer addict as some of you may know... I have been waiting for the latest PiMiga 2.0 impatiently and just watched Chris's latest video..

I have bought a 64GB SD to stick it on... I just looked and memories ( pun intended ) flooded back... I was making 386 and 486's back in the late 80's early 90's and I was paying £10 a MB was costing me £40 for four sticks.. Looking at this tiny tiny piece of plastic that contains 64GB for £18... I can't believe how things have changed..

Now I know some of you are a tad older than me and will say things like 256 K byte memory cards were full sized plugin's for £100+ but it just made me sit and think for a bit!!

Last edited:
Started on 2114 1K plug in static memory chips
Same here, my first (working) DIY computer had two 2114s, so 256 bytes * 8 bit RAM, with a Motorola 6800.

I can't believe how things have changed.
Yep. The first IBM PC compatible machine we bought was a 20MHz 286, (almost £2000) with a 5MB hard drive that cost another £400

Now, a 5 Terabyte hard drive, a million times larger, is under half that in numeric cost and a lot cheaper still if you allow for inflation.

(And something I found amusing at the time - my 8MHz 6809 machine running OS/9 benchmarked somewhat faster than the 20MHz 286, running the basic benchmarks that existed back then).

"The cycle time of the PDP-11/45 with bipolar memory (max. 8 KW!) was 300 ns, MOS memories (max. 32 KW) were 450 ns, and core was 980 ns - but without memory management! The MMU added 90 ns to the cycle time."
Cor(e)! [Sorry could not resist]..

49557751821_fcf515ecde_o.jpg

Reactions: Buk
Attached is an ad that proudly proclaims a memory card that breaks the "2¢-a-byte" barrier. Good for them. Unless I messed up my decimal points, that mean a computer memory card with 32G of RAM would only set you back $640,000,000.00 of 1980's money.

Attachments

• Memory Ad from Times Past.pdf
    364.9 KB · Views: 250
Not sure if this has already been posted,

Mike.
Edit, what happened to the ability to post the full image? More "improvements"?
Edit2, wrong thread, duhhh.

Attachments

• quarter pounder.jpg
    quarter pounder.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 254
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back