Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

anyone bought this book ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be suspicious as there is only one customer review by someone that wrote only one review in his history ... as this reviewer says, go in a local library and browse it before buying or not ?

Well my attitude has become: All (technical) books are rubbish unless i have a personal recomendation.

personally I think books should be censored for technical usefulness, there are some books that cost quite a bit of money and look like they were written in half an hour with the sole intent of making money as they have no real information in them at all and the auther in most cases thinks he is funny in which case he has no place writting a book about electronics when its just full of petty humor he should instead write so called comical books and sell them for far less money. As I can't find "THE BOOK" I want I have a bit of a problem.

I'm also peterbed when i see books by people that have written a "hobbies series" meaning they have decided they know about everything: cars, electronics, computers, horse riding, boating and you name it theres a book in their series about it.

Well my attitude has become: All (technical) books are rubbish unless i have a personal recomendation.

personally I think books should be censored for technical usefulness, there are some books that cost quite a bit of money and look like they were written in half an hour with the sole intent of making money as they have no real information in them at all and the auther in most cases thinks he is funny in which case he has no place writting a book about electronics when its just full of petty humor he should instead write so called comical books and sell them for far less money. As I can't find "THE BOOK" I want I have a bit of a problem.

I'm also peterbed when i see books by people that have written a "hobbies series" meaning they have decided they know about everything: cars, electronics, computers, horse riding, boating and you name it theres a book in their series about it.

It all depends , on with what background you look at a book
any book of practical nature should be Marvelous for a new commer, while for as person with Industry exposure of designing and manufacturing, the book might appear foolish or childish.

I have this book and is NICE to my feeling. Even if a book helps to sort out 3 to 4 issues, it is worth.

put it this way: a pic book that tells you what an IC is ???? ok so it was meant for beginers and more advanced alike i beleive, the so called advanced stuff (2/3 the book) were projects taken straight from microchips website with not much explanation and pages and pages of code (there should have been a support CD not a book full of undocumented programs). So I'm still feeling pretty scorched.

I used to have access at school to what they called in Italy "electronic manual" thoese were 1000+ pages and were no nonsense electronics theory, and it required that firstly you knew something about electronics and specificly what you were looking for and secondly that you have the abilities to use such a book. yes we had access to these books on our state exam and 95% of the class were that stupid that they couldn't even find what they needed in a book to solve a simple circuit.

Last edited:
put it this way: a pic book that tells you what an IC is ???? ok so it was meant for beginers and more advanced alike i beleive, the so called advanced stuff (2/3 the book) were projects taken straight from microchips website with not much explanation and pages and pages of code (there should have been a support CD not a book full of undocumented programs). So I'm still feeling pretty scorched.

I used to have access at school to what they called in Italy "electronic manual" thoese were 1000+ pages and were no nonsense electronics theory, and it required that firstly you knew something about electronics and specificly what you were looking for and secondly that you have the abilities to use such a book. yes we had access to these books on our state exam and 95% of the class were that stupid that they couldn't even find what they needed in a book to solve a simple circuit.
I hope that you may agree that the world doesn't start or end with me and you alone. i have 40 years experience in telecom.

Books are written to meet the needs of various levels of readers in society. perhaps we need not purchase that book and thus no further we need either to boost or bane the quality of such books.

Last edited:
I hope that you may agree that the world doesn't start or end with me and you alone. i have 40 years experience in telecom.

Books are written to meet the needs of various levels of readers in society. perhaps we need not purchase that book and thus no further we need either to boost or bane the quality of such books.

there are some books that were written by people purely for profit and without the care of whether or not they are useful, the only way of really telling is to flip through the book before buying something you can't do online, a book that has 1/3 humor and 2/3 material thats can be obtained free of charge from microchip to my mind is a scam !

there are some books that were written by people purely for profit and without the care of whether or not they are useful, the only way of really telling is to flip through the book before buying something you can't do online, a book that has 1/3 humor and 2/3 material thats can be obtained free of charge from microchip to my mind is a scam !
That was one reviewers comment, perhaps. Thanks !!

That was one reviewers comment, perhaps. Thanks !!

It is my comment on a book I bought that was a scam written only for the authors profit, only by reading it you would be able to laugh if you got it cheap or for free or cry at the money you literally poured down the drain at 25 pounds it was not cheap considering that 2/3 of it were projects freely available from microchip and it was not a big book and had unusually large print...

the book in question was something like "customising pic microcontrollers"

Last edited:
I am admitedly skeptical about buying newer printed books too Thunderchild.
I too have been very disapointed in a bunch of books I have purchased over the years as well. I have bought a few that came highly rated only to find out they were poorly consived and baddly written from the technical stand point. The information was layed out so heavy in theoretical nonsense and technical mumbo jumbo that the math and actual application did not even add up!

I personaly collect old technical books from the early days. I have several sets that have origional copy right and print dates from back in the 19 teen's era.
Those are appsolutley wonderful to read. The math is rule of thumb and common sensed based. The physics break downs are done to be able to be understood by the common laborer. And some of the ways they did stuff is apsolutely incredible!

And for being almost 100 years old alot of the informaion is still very acurate and practical for real life situations. Some of my best kept repair and trouble shooting secrets came from old technical books like these!

But like everything else what a person reads is the same as what they like in music. Its their personal taist not everyone elses that matters!

You want a good book Electricity And Electronics second edition by Allen Mottershead

You want a good book Electricity And Electronics second edition by Allen Mottershead
For most of us who are blessed to have HOT info dirct from manufacturers site and updted dataand application notes, text book approach would NOT appeal , I fear, be80be !

Last edited:
For most of us who are blessed to have HOT info dirct from manufacturers site and updted dataand application notes, text book approach would NOT appeal , I fear, be80be !

datasheets still won't have all the concept ans formulas of electronics. Like I said I used to have access to "electronics manuals" which were 1000+ pages and had all the information you could ever want all condensed to the essentials without any authors so called humor or nonsense, sadly in todays money making for nothing world I ca't find such a book

datasheets still won't have all the concept ans formulas of electronics. Like I said I used to have access to "electronics manuals" which were 1000+ pages and had all the information you could ever want all condensed to the essentials without any authors so called humor or nonsense, sadly in todays money making for nothing world I ca't find such a book
In cases like you and me, Perhaps you are correct.

In cases like you and me, Perhaps you are correct.

of course I'm correct no one can carry a full compedium of electronics in their head (well a few really clever chaps might) but if your already fairly knowledgeable know how to use reference books and know your particular book well you can have with the type of book i want access to any formula or concept you could ever want (well rather any concept yet conceived) any time. I don't mind paying the money either provid its "the Book" and not some other money orientated guy that thinks he knows about the subject and worse things he is funny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back