Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Any tricks for long wire aerials?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasp3r

I have a long wire aerial for Crystal Sets, and some shortwave, it doesn't perform to well so I was wondering if there are any hints for optimum performance

Jasper

I have a long wire aerial
How long is "long" ?
A long-wire antenna is generally several wavelengths long at the required frequency.
The term "long-wire" is often used to describe a wire of random length which may not be long at the required frequency.

for Crystal Sets, and some shortwave,
Crystal sets are not exactly sensitive, or selective.
Fun to work with? yes!
But not noted for good performance.
What are you using to receive shortwave? Are you sure that it is working correctly?

it doesn't perform to well
Define "doesn't perform well".
As well as the antenna, you also need an earth (ground) connection to make the most of the signal from the antenna.
A good earth connection allows more current to flow in the antenna-earth circuit thus putting more signal into the receiver.

Hints for best performance?

Make the wire as long and as high as possible.
Keep it clear of any other wires (especially power wires!).
Make a good earth connection.
Use an antenna matching unit.

The impedance of the antenna varies depending on the frequency.
An end fed wire which is a quarter wavelength long will have a low impedance.
An end fed wire which is a half wavelength long will have a high impedance.
Depending on the input impedance of the receiver the signal from the antenna may be severely attenuated by the impedance mis-match.
An antenna matching unit is useful to sort out this problem.

JimB

Last edited:
A tuner will help out, especially if you working over a broad freq range. You can buy one, or better yet homebrew a tuner. Google and you will find lots of info. Just make sure you DO NOT get a autotuner, which will require that you transmit a carrier, for it to tune. When it comes to antenna's, bigger IS better. :D
Also if you're using some type of twin lead line from the radio to the antenna, it must be keep away from metal and ground (at least 2 feet) coax is not sensitive to either.

I have a long wire aerial for Crystal Sets, and some shortwave, it doesn't perform to well so I was wondering if there are any hints for optimum performance

Jasper

Last edited:
Try active antennas in the HF range up to 30MHz.
for example active mini patch by DL4YHF (homebrew)
wellbrook AL1350 etc

another "trick" used in the early days of radio was a modification of the basic crystal set. add a 1.5V battery through very high resistance to the diode junction to just barely get it to it's conduction threshold. this increases the sensitivity of the detector.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back