• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Any thoughts? replacing a potentiometer.

Not open for further replies.


New Member
I am trying to replace a joystick pot with something that could be activated
using a reed switch. I am thinking along the lines of the switch open/closed
(number over time) = pot movement. So I suppose a counter (ic 555?)going to a digital pot but I am too inexperienced (dim) to work it out. Any
help, ideas link etc gratefully rece :? ived.


New Member
How about using the MOSFET transistor :shock: as a switch? :roll: You would be able to accomplish what you need.....

Good Luck


New Member
More info wanted

What is across the pot? is it a DC voltage, audio, etc.? Is it floating or refrenced to ground? Is it working as a potentiometer or just a variable resistor? Is it tiny current or lots of Watts?
Is the reed switch significant - voltage isolation or something?
What is the new control source - a pot to set the 555 frequency (full circle)?
How complex can the answer get before it's useless - could an opto coupler serve instead of the reed switch?


New Member
The exact numbers you ask about I do not have to hand as I write but I can get them.
In essence I am trying to replace the forward reverse pot in a joystick 100k (5v) with a forward reverse motion of a wheel. This is why I thought of a reed switch and magnets and a circuit I saw using a 555 and 740 chips. Sadly it was not that simple, especially with my infants understanding of electronics. If this is still not clear just drop me a line.


New Member
A MOSFET transistor? I will look this up and probably come back to you with a lot of ???????.
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

EE World Online Articles