Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Any suggestions for component storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerStrom8

Super Moderator
Hey everyone.

I was recently given a variety of components, from resistors, to diodes, to logic chips. I've decided my collection has outgrown my two flat tackle boxes, so I'd like to upgrade. I'm looking for a desktop chest of small drawers to hold all my components. I'm wondering if anyone's got some suggestions (links, sources, and prices would be very much appreciated) for component storage? I would like the drawers to have compartments so that I can divide each one up and organize it so that, for example, I can have a drawer for 5/6, which includes 56Ω, 560Ω, 5.6KΩ, 56KΩ, 560KΩ, and 5.6MΩ. I'd like to do this for each division, like 1/2, 3/3, 3/9, 4/7, etc.

Am I making any sense?

Thanks for any suggestions you might have!

Regards,
Matt

Hi, for resistors and caps I just use clear component drawers, the small size about 3x2 inches by about 6 inches deep.

I pull the dividers out and just fill them with the parts. But not segregated by the first two bands like you suggested, I segregate resistors by their 3rd band, so one drawer is 10's of ohms, the next drawer is 100's of ohms etc.

That is much less work (and less skill) needed for putting parts away, and in prototyping I find it is better. For example if making a filter or timer etc I might not know whether 470/560/680 ohms is the best value, but that's ok as they are all in the same drawer so i can put that drawer out on the bench and swap some resistors in the circuit.

For electro caps I leave one divider in, and have one drawer for each cap value, ie; 47uF, 68uF, 100uF etc. Then the divider in that drawer separates 16/25v, and >=50v.

I use the gravity method myself.

That is I just take it for granted that where ever I leave something gravity will do it's best to keep it there until I need it again.

It's also very good mental exercise keeping track of where gravity is keeping things put for me. ;)

Hi, for resistors and caps I just use clear component drawers, the small size about 3x2 inches by about 6 inches deep.

I pull the dividers out and just fill them with the parts. But not segregated by the first two bands like you suggested, I segregate resistors by their 3rd band, so one drawer is 10's of ohms, the next drawer is 100's of ohms etc.

That is much less work (and less skill) needed for putting parts away, and in prototyping I find it is better. For example if making a filter or timer etc I might not know whether 470/560/680 ohms is the best value, but that's ok as they are all in the same drawer so i can put that drawer out on the bench and swap some resistors in the circuit.

For electro caps I leave one divider in, and have one drawer for each cap value, ie; 47uF, 68uF, 100uF etc. Then the divider in that drawer separates 16/25v, and >=50v.

Hi Mr RB. That's actually the first thought I had--a set of drawers like you describe. unfortunately the only ones I could find had a maximum of 64 drawers and cost ~$40 each. That's pushing my budget, especially considering each drawer was not very deep and only had one divider spot. Do you have a link to the ones like what you use?

I'm thinking I might end up just buying two cheap ones from Kmart or Walmart--one for caps and one for resistors, and using any extra drawers for diodes, LEDs, etc. Kmart has these types of cabinets for $19 each. Might be worth it....

Cheers,
Matt

Matt, that's always a touchy subject and it keeps getting worse. There are WAY too many components. Keeping track is yet another nightmare.

I'd almost like to use the program Parts and Vendors to keep track of stuff, but nope, not yet. The big problem is keeping track of inventory.

Once you can do that simple tiny Ziplock bags do a nice job. If they are arranged in a long row, you can pretty much organize anything. I buy small Ziplocks by the 1000's. in two sizes. Something 2.5" x 3" for inside dimensions, 2 mill. I tend to transfer what comes in from Mouser, Digikey etc to these smaller envelopes.

Resistors long ago when they were 1/4 to 1W max and leaded were basically put in a big parts drawer, essentially 0-10, 11-99, etc. with ziplocks further refining them. If I had a lot of 1K resistors, they would get their own bag.

I actually use larger Ziplock to store things in too. Except I use the Zipper bags in quart or gallons by hefty.
So, for things like Rivets:

Everything fits in a 1 gallon bag.
Inside you will find the small bags with say 1/8 rivets, a few lengths, a few styles, a few materials.
You might find backing washers and if your lucky drill bits for the rivets. So, there will be a 1/8" drill in the rivet bag. They can be segregated even more with the quart bags inside of the gallon bags.

But then the whole thing falls apart when you have a box of 500 countersunk 1/8" rivets.

In any even the Zipper large bags and the ZIPLOCK smaller bags help a lot.

I tend to organize in many modes and thus i only now what those modes are:

There is the recent mode. or heap. First-In Last-Out

There is the project mode.
Project related items go together.

Then there is the Like Items Mode
Wire nuts
Fasteners
Wire

But, you might find wire or fasteners or Wirenuts in a project box.

When projects are done, the parts will migrate back.

Even drills get messy:
There is fractional, numbered, letter, pilot point bits, hole saws, forestner bits, and 4 foot long flex drill bits.
The first 4 get their own box, As they break they get replaced with cobalt bits.
Then there are chassis punches - again, I have no idea the sizes i have.
Oh and don't forget medical tissue sample corers for punching holes in plastic.
and the masonary bits.
The hole saws get the gallon plastic bag approach. A few and 2 mandrels.
The 4 foot bits go in the ceiling rafters. DO I know the sizes of the hole saws or the flex bits. Nope.
Yep, they all drill holes, but they are very different.
Then we have the Dremel tools and attachments.

They are similar components, but rather different sizes and for all sorts of purposes.
Countersinks and some taps will be found with the Dremel Tools. Why? Dunno.

This just goes to say that one size doesn't fit all and less used parts get stored elsewhere.

I do like the "project" method. and I do like the FIFO method and I also like hiding the less used tools. I might put the rubber band wrench in the plumbing tools or the big pliers or crescent wrench in the plumbing tools.

There is no one way and no easy way! Just wish I could have come up with a way of inventorying the parts/tools with locations early.

PS; Priority mail boxes and rubber bands are useful too. Label with Post-it tape.

I use the gravity method myself.

That is I just take it for granted that where ever I leave something gravity will do it's best to keep it there until I need it again.

It's also very good mental exercise keeping track of where gravity is keeping things put for me. ;)

Our biggest issue here is the wife doesn't appreciate this method.... She is classed as the "anti gravity" that cocks it up!!

Our biggest issue here is the wife doesn't appreciate this method.... She is classed as the "anti gravity" that cocks it up!!

Same issue here now. My stuff moves out and hers move in.:mad:

When I was a poor kid I used mail envelopes for all my resisters.
Now that I am a poor old fart I throw them all in zip locks then in shoe boxes by power.

When I was a poor kid I used mail envelopes for all my resisters.
Now that I am a poor old fart I throw them all in zip locks then in shoe boxes by power.

That's a thought :D

I'd worry about the ESD with ziploc bags though.....

Ziplocks bags are fine, I have used them for 20 years for semis. They are polypropylene and won't have static issues.

Re the parts drawers, I use these;

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

They are only about $13. I have a block of 6 drawers like these for resistors and caps, with a few blobs of silicone to glue it into one massive drawer set.

I use the same as that

IMAG0200.jpg

This is my component bench at work.

Thank you Mr. RB, that looks pretty good.

@ Ian, I'm very jealous....

Thank you Mr. RB, that looks pretty good.

@ Ian, I'm very jealous....

They didn't cost much.... But I have now 6 boards so I need to separate the components.... (I still loose them even though they are marked)

I use the same as Ian and RB, they can be picked up cheap if you shop around. Worth it IMO too.

For small parts (resistors, caps, transistors, etc) I use #6 coin envelopes ( Staples #37360) in 4" cardboard shelving bins. A 12" deep box, 4" wide, holds over 35 resistor values (100 lot). Extremely efficient and no static problems.
For small production runs I use the parts bins.
Getting older, I do not like plastic bags, especially the press-fit closure ones. I have problems opening them and find myself cutting half-moons into one side to help out.
No easy solution here, as each diy'er has differnt needs and quantity of parts. E
PS to Eric: your second link in post #15 is so, so IKEA!

My wife has a huge pile of small 1.5" to 2" dia glass jars, which I have been using for resistors mostly. I was wondering if glass poses any ESD problems for things like 2n390X transistors, SCRs, Caps, 1n400X diodes (basically all the stuff one gets when you are 1st getting into this).
I find they work good for me so far, since I can label the lid and sides with a sharpy marker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back