Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Any phone company people that can help(whats this?)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
If you can put a more clear picture, it would be easier to recognize what it is. Right now I am not able to read the labels on front panel.

Alright. Finly got the camera back. well actualy we got a beter one. newer hi-res pics are there now

The site is extremely slow! :( I tried it four times but couldn't open the complete page. Only the first pic comes which is I think the same as before.

kinjalgp said:
The site is extremely slow! :( I tried it four times but couldn't open the complete page. Only the first pic comes which is I think the same as before.

You must be on dial up (or AOL more to the point, thats why I droped them). Between angelfire's flash baners and the three new 1600x1200 images it will take some time. I'll take two pics out of it later today, just give it some time and it will come up.

Hi,
No I am not on dial up. I use cable connection.

Its clear now. The device seems to be a Digital voice cum data recorder based on magnetic tape memory. I said it is digital Digital because the supply voltage is 5V. All I could understand from the front panel is
FF = Fast Forward
Rewnd = Rewind
Play = Play Recorded Data/Voice
Stop = Stop Playing
EOT = End of Tape
RPT = Repeat
The switches under LAMP TEST are just for testing the LEDs.
The two BNC sockets are meant for inputs it seems but the panel shows that they are outputs. So I think there must be some socket behind for data/voice inputs. Channel A is for Voice and channle B for digital data (hopefully 0 to +5V TTL level).

YOUR DEVICE

TO ME IT LOOKS LIKE AN OLD STYLE MODEM/DATA RECORDER. ALSO MAYBE SOME SORT OF INTERFACE BETWEEN A COMPUTER AND TELEPHONE.
ALSO COULD BE AN EARLY ANSWERING MACHINE FOR COMPUTER
GOOD LUCK WITH IT
IF YOU FIND OUT WHAT IT IS LET US KNOW

It looks like it could be a test unit for early digital PBXs (Private Branch eXchanges, usually used to interface between multiple extensions in an office building and one or more external telephone lines)
These usually have inputs and output for both analog (the conversation currently taking place on the outside line, hold music etc) and digital (transfer between extension, put on hold) data. Whereas modern PABXs usually have an RS232 serial port and a PC acting as a datalogger and constantly testing the unit, older PBXs such as the late 70s Monarch line used a TTL compatible digital i/o port.

So this looks like it may be a tool for engineers sent to fix PBX systems, as there appears to be no record button and only outputs for data/voice. It would probably come with a fixed tape supplied by the telephone company designed to output a fixed series of pitches over the analog lines and a series of common commands over the digital lines, so that the engineer could just set it up and wait for an anomalous result from the system, or give it an all clear if it was a routine test.

Thanxs, I'll be getting some more time to look at them soon, I'll let you all know if if found out any thing cool about them.

Anybody think they are of any use or should I use them for project boxes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back