Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Any One Having Tech. of mosquito Killing ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanju123in

mosquito killing is one of the greatest things in world. if any one having moquito killiers not repallent pls sugest me technologly.

mosquito killer

I've even seen electronic fly swatters.:p

I've got one that uses blue LEDs to attract bugs close enough to be sucked in by a fan, and mulched. Not real selective, but the best flying insects, are the dead ones... Seems to work well enough, good assortment of bug parts in the collection tray every week (or whenever I remember to empty it. Fan is a little loud.

Well I recall from long ago while in the Air Force that the chow hall at one base had a large ceiling mounted unit just inside the main door to the complex. Pretty simple, just a large static generator with a wire mesh. As a insect flew near it it would tend to short across the potential. I got use to hearing small pops while eating so it seemed to work well. Never seen one anywhere else.

Lefty

I've got one that uses blue LEDs to attract bugs close enough to be sucked in by a fan, and mulched. Not real selective, but the best flying insects, are the dead ones... Seems to work well enough, good assortment of bug parts in the collection tray every week (or whenever I remember to empty it. Fan is a little loud.

I think mosquitoes are attracted by the heat of human body especially our ears are the main heat emitting source. I'm thinking of simulating an ear by putting a heating element at the end of a funnel like structure and when the mosquitoes are attracted towards during night suck up by a vacuum sucker! :)

mosquitoes pick up on the carbon dioxide we exhale.

This device is popular in Minnesota, as we have alot of mosquitoes here.
Mosquito Magnet® | Home

It emits carbon dioxide to attect them, and then sucks them up. I have heard it works well, but it is expensive.

I got a Lab puppy last December, so I leave the back door open most of the time while I'm home. In the spring, started have mosquito problems in the house. Getting bit, and hearing the damn things closing in, wasn't getting much sleep. So I sprayed bug killer, with little help. Hung up sticky fly paper strips (works), but saw the fan gadget (who could resist). Haven't had a problem since. Could be a number of things, maybe the puppy catches the bugs, but went through the summer without mosquitoes in the house. I put the noisy mosquito catcher on the back porch shortly after the house was free, still seems to be working well.

It's hard to tell what is actual science, and what is marketing these days. Most every device on the market, seems to have scientific proof their product works, and everything else won't...

In an area with lots of mosquitoes it would not be too high of a price to pay if it worked well enough.

mosquitoes pick up on the carbon dioxide we exhale.

This device is popular in Minnesota, as we have alot of mosquitoes here.
Mosquito Magnet® | Home

It emits carbon dioxide to attect them, and then sucks them up. I have heard it works well, but it is expensive.

Well I did hear a quote where the figure of 27 hz with a sawtooth wave form will repel mozzies. For fun I made one next thing I knew I had about 10 mozzies buzzing around me.:eek: Anyway the wife had her own cunning plan and grew some carnivorous plants that attract the mozzies and eat them for breaky.:D

The only commercial ones that seem to work are the blue light zappers. not cheap and they do consume a heap of power so here on our off grid farm those plants do a great job.;)

Last edited:
Burn hydrocarbon fuels. ;) Oh, you said efficiently...not easily.

Ken

How can we generate CO2 efficiently. Any idea?

CO2 is a byproduct of making beer, so just have to figure out how to contain and store it. Might need to brew several batches of beer (for research purposes), while working out the details. Not sure what you could do with all that beer though, maybe the neighbors might come up with a few ideas...

Shallow tins of beer placed around the garden is supposed to be good to attract and drowned slugs. :D Perhaps you could go into the pest control business with the excess beer. (Is there such a thing as "excess beer"?)

Ken

A sugar water solution with a bit of bakers yeast will generate CO2. A two liter bottle would deliver about 1 bubble per second (it has been a while).

I would be interesting to know how much CO2 it would take to make a working trap. In very still air it should not take much.

Maybe a body from south of the equator could give it a try
3v0

How can we generate CO2 efficiently. Any idea?

Bicarbonated soda and water.

Here in RSA we get a device that looks like a small tennis racket, but it has steel strings a power button and two AA batteries.
So you shock them to death - no sound better than a sizzling mozzy. If the batteries are fresh it provides quite a fireworks show also, very relaxing.
Gives quite a sting when you touch the metal part while pressing the button also.

You also get a similar unit with Uv light and electrical grid, bugs like the light and see their buts as they go closer, but these are expensive. You have to mount them somewhere, and the sizzles and cracks can be intrusive when you want to sleep, these are very loud.

Very nice, but those wall units still are best.

A sugar water solution with a bit of bakers yeast will generate CO2. A two liter bottle would deliver about 1 bubble per second (it has been a while).

I would be interesting to know how much CO2 it would take to make a working trap. In very still air it should not take much.

Maybe a body from south of the equator could give it a try
3v0

I don’t know why but I got curious as to how much CO2 gas could actually be obtained using the Sugar yeast method, not sure how much yeast is needed but since it undergoes mitotic reproduction during anaerobic respiration I assume not a lot is needed .Anyways, if I did this right then;
From the chemical formula for sugar to CO2 we get:

C12H22O11 ----> 4 CO2 (I left out the other products) So 1 mole sucrose yields 4 mole CO2
1mole C12H22O11 is about 342g/mole which is about 3/4 pound of sugar.
1 mole of sugar will make about 4(44g CO2/1 mole CO2) = 176 g CO2.

Since density of CO2 is 1.56g/ml the amount of CO2 produced from 1 mole of sugar is

1 mole C12H22O11 ----> 176g CO2 x (1mL/1.56g CO2) = 112.8 mL CO2

So for ¾ pound of sugar you would fill up about 1 of these (image below) graduated cylinders with CO2. Not a lot of gas for that much sugar.
This assumes conditions are at STP.

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back