Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Any One Having Tech. of mosquito Killing ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mosquitoes also happen to be food for many young and small critters, which also happen to be food for larger critters. Killing them all would create other problems. The chemicals used to kill large quantities of anything, can't be good for people either. Canada blames all bad things on the USA, so it's okay.
I agree. The pesticide DDT just about wiped out bald eagles.

My city treats 85,000 storm sewer catch basins with an environmentaly friendly lavacide:
"Methoprene interferes with the development of mosquito larvae into adult mosquitoes. Methoprene is highly effective, has low environmental impact and poses no risk to the health of mammals, including humans. Methoprene is being used in roadside catch basins."
There are no mammals nor birds in the catch basins.

Edit: Guess where else methoprene is used? "Methoprene is used in the production of a number of foods including meat, milk, mushrooms, peanuts, rice and cereals."

Last edited:
Mosquitoes are a pain, but they are also an important food source for baby fish and frogs, which move on to bigger bugs later in life. Methoprene will be considered safe, until proven otherwise, like so many other 'safe' compounds. Controlling pest in small areas isn't too bad, sometimes necessary, but whole cities, or Canada, is just begging for trouble. We are tolerant to many things, in low levels, high or frequent exposure is what cause most problems.

There are still zillions of mosquitoes in Canada for the frogs. The frogs eat the mosquitoes and the mosquitoes eat the campers. Maybe bears eat the frogs.
There are no mosquitoes nor frogs nor bears in my city.
There is no West Nile Virus anymore in my city.

I live in Louisiana where the mosquito is the state bird. There are some heavy duty mosquitoes here, one particular species is about 1/2 inch long and 1/8th inch thick!

I have tried traps, repellents, etc. All are worthless. We are surrounded by standing water here, ditches, crawfish ponds, etc.

I recently had an evening when the mosquitoes were so thick in the air you could not inhale without getting mosquitoes in your nostrils.

I heavily researched mosquitoes and here are the facts I have gathered:

• Mosquitoes lay eggs in standing water.
  • The females seek a bloodmeal from mammals, and are attracted to CO2, heat, and chemicals our bodies release.
  • Mosquitoes rarely fly more than 100 yards from where they hatch.
  • Mosquitoes can sense a victim from up to about 30 feet away.

I bought a **broken link removed** similar to that one, which is basically a leaf blower with a tank to hold the poison. This is used to kill the adults. I put Riptide in it, which is mixed 3 ounces to a gallon of water. Riptide is made with Pyrethrum, a poison made from Chrysanthemums. It has repellent properties, and recent studies have found that mosquitoes entering a treated area will not feed.

I used this to great effect, treating my 4 acres and eliminating all adult mosquitoes within an hour. They recommend spraying 2 times per week at 1st until the population is under control, then once per week after that. I found that only 2 spraying's spaced one week apart were necessary, when used in combination with the dunks described below.

I also bought some mosquito dunks, which you put in places where there is standing water (ditches, tires, ponds, etc.). It releases a bacterium which destroys the mosquito larvae before they become adults. These dunks are doughnut shaped, and can be staked down or otherwise anchored in place to stop them from floating away. 1 dunk treats about 100 sq. ft of water. They can be broken into quarters for treating narrow waterways such as the ditch. They last 30 days.

The treatment regimen described above was implemented at the peak of mosquito season, and it almost completely eliminated the mosquito population around our house and property for the entire remainder of the season.

Why doesn't your government get rid of the dangerous mosquitoes like my government did?
No proper planning. Last year they've applied chemicals through the drainages of the city. But if we really want to eliminate about 70% the only option is to apply at least 4 times a year for about 2-3 years consecutively. Also it should be environmental safe chemicals as what you've suggested. DDT is a banned dangerous chemical anyway.
They should be completely eliminated from cities and let them live outside of the city as they are an important member of the food chain, my opinion.
There are no mosquitoes nor frogs nor bears in my city.
I've seen a bear driving through the Toronto city in a car enjoying western music with woofer volume full up :)

How can we generate CO2 efficiently. Any idea?

breath lots, setfire to the house (just kidding)

another machine is an electrified cage with a flurescent light inside, the mozees are atracted to the light and get nukes between 1000+ volts i'm not too sure it worked though as it seems to catch all but mozees and between me and the machine they prefered me

ooh another way is: do have some standing water but let algea grow in it, by the time the eggs hatch they are hemed in + the green algea make oxegen so it good for the environment

A box fan with window screen taped to the exhaust side, making a power-net works well.

Mike2545

Today it was very cold outside. No mosquitoes.
Last summer there were no mosquitoes because they have been safely eliminated by my govenment. But I miss seeing bats flying around at sunset eating mosquitoes.

Today it was very cold outside. No mosquitoes.
Last summer there were no mosquitoes because they have been safely eliminated by my govenment. But I miss seeing bats flying around at sunset eating mosquitoes.

The need of Government intervention is because of dwindling bat populations. And that is due to environmental stresses.

.............Ah,who knows. ?

kv

Last edited:
The need of Government intervention is because of dwindling bat populations. And that is due to environmental stresses.

.............Ah,who knows. ?

kv
No.
My government killed the mosquitoes then the bats went away to find more mosquitoes to eat.

My government used a safe chemical that prevents mosquito larvae from maturing.
Poison was used to kill bugs that were eating trees.

'safe chemical' :p

Still a government would never use dangerous chemicals would they? :rolleyes:
The larvicides are placed in storm sewer catch basins where mosquitoes lay their eggs but people, animals or birds never go to. The chemical is environmentally and humans friendly.

They use helicopters to spray a deadly poison to kill Gypsy Moths that eat trees. The particular type of tree is not near my home so I am not affected.

Tesla and the dreaded mosquito.

Build Tesla Coil. :p

Set in a Vinyl Fenced area with Danger signs visible by nosey Neighbors. ;)

Mist everything with water.:p

Release a gas filled container (To Increase Conductivity) Locate a High Speed digital Camera. ;)

Trip Mains Switch with remote control. From a Safe Distance.:eek:

Later watch the recording.:)

kv :D:D:D

There are plenty of substances toxic to insects but not humans, for example orange and lemon oil are perfectly safe and even used in food but are deadly to insects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back