Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

any ideas??newbie here

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkcromer

Hey guys and gals,

I am trying to build a fairly simple project.

here is what Im trying to do. I have a few automotive devices which are rated to run between 8-20vdc. example (cooling fan/pumps). Charging circuit from alternator fluctuates too much. 12-5 to 14.4 ..Anyone know how i could build a circuit to regulate a steady 16.5-18v output??I was thinking dc/dc convertor w/ regulator maybe? It would be really neat if i could use a pot of some sort to vary the voltage to my liking on demand. Im needing a steadier supply and wish to step up the voltage over what my alternator produces..problem is the devices i try to run pull a relatively large amount of amperage..20- 30 amps

thanks in advance.

Keith Cromer

jkcromer said:
I am trying to build a fairly simple project.

I'm afraid it's a long way short of a 'simple project' - what you need is a switchmode inverter, with an input capability of 60 amps or so (720W of power). It won't be simple, and it won't be cheap!.

I'm somewhat puzzled why 'automotive devices' aren't designed to work at automotive voltages?.

Nigel Goodwin said:
I'm somewhat puzzled why 'automotive devices' aren't designed to work at automotive voltages?.

Maybe they are devices for use in a truck wich run on 24V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back