Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Any help appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

readings

Hi

I am completely new to this so I apologise if I am in the wrong place etc.

I want to build something which simply put will run up and down some poles according to the program. The easiest way I can describe it is if you think of a flatbed scanner and how the scanning bit moves up and down.

I assume I can take the part from a flatbed scanner while I am figuring things out but I have no idea what I need to learn or the best place to start. I think it would have to involve some sort of a bipolar stepper motor but I am only mentioning that so that you know I have been trying.

I would be grateful for anyone who can advise me where to start or let me know if there is anywhere where you can find people to build things for you for a reasonable cost?

Many thanks
m

If you want good positional control then a stepper motor drive is a good idea. You may be able to use some of the control electronics from the scanner if the chips aren't custom ones. Do some research on stepper motors and how to drive them. That will enable you to determine the requirements for interfacing the drive electronics to a microcontroller.
anywhere where you can find people to build things for you for a reasonable cost?
Well, that all depends on your definition of 'reasonable'.:)

Thank you both for your help. I appreciate 'reasonable cost' will be different for different people but i think a site like i was looking for might have potential for anyone who wanted to do it.

anyway, as I say, thank you. MisterT, I followed your links and i basically want to build something like the mini track actuator (link below), however i would need it to be about 40" long and go up and down in stages according to how it is programmed. it barely has to carry any weight up and down but i would also need it to be considerably cheaper. as the parts are used in flat bed scanners, i was expecting to be able to make something like this for under £50.

https://www.firgelliauto.com/product_info.php?cPath=118&products_id=256

is there a cheaper way to make something like that, that would suit about 40" long?

Thanks a million

is there a cheaper way to make something like that, that would suit about 40" long?
You could use an ordinary geared DC motor, or a stepper motor, to rotate a length of studding (threaded rod), with a nut or threaded bracket arrranged to run along the rod. I believe studding is available, from builder's merchants etc, in 1m lengths for <£2. You can probably get a suitable geared motor for <£10 from a modeller's shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back