Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Antenna Length For Small AM Transmitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

greeneyehawk

Does the antenna length for a small AM transmitter have to be hundreds of feet long? I know that this long length is optimal, but could it be a few inches and still work for short ranges in my house?

Yes, a random wire a few feet long will work up to a distance of 50 feet. The big problem will be at night, when the field strength from stations hundreds to thousands of miles distant will be stronger than your peanut whistle.

Last edited:
Just a piece of wire probably wont' do. I built a AM transmitter, and I had to add inductancte to my wire antenna to make it work. Problem with electrically short antenna is, it doesn't radiate very effectively. I think I ended up with about 1mH if inductance in series with my wire antenna to get a good distance (about 20 feet).

Last edited:
Use multibles of the full wave lenght. IE 1/2 wave, 1/4 wave, 1/8 wave and you can load it to make a shorter ant.

Antenna is usually 1/2 or 1/4 wave length you will have to use the formula to calculate that I don't know your frequency. There is a cool trick to makes a compact antenna. Lets assume the formula says your antenna needs to be 100 ft long. Use some small enamel coated copper wire like maybe #24 enamel coated wire. Wind 95 ft of that wire into a coil around a toilet paper tube will work fine the last 5 ft can be a straight length antenna that sticks up into the air. You may want to experement for some odd reason 1/2 wave lengh may work better than 1/4 or the other way around so build both try them both see which one works best. That 5 ft antenna is optional you can make it 1 or 2 or 3 ft or any length you like be sure to wind more or less wire on the coil.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back