Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Antenna design

Status
Not open for further replies.
About some 20 odd years ago, I had to obtain a First class radio license to get a job I wanted. Took me two tries as I was not prepaired for all the regulations and had only studied the electronics part. It was mostly regs as I remember, lots of tube questions too which seems silly now... Don't recall a morse test then either. Never found use for the license since that job.

Nigel - I've lived within 40 miles of Medina, NY my whole life. My summer place is in Medina. The ham radio operator who convinced me to get licensed so my dad would follow (my dad lost his eyesight while I was in high school) was from Medina. Interesting coincidence. Pass his name along via IM if you like.

Yes, they dropped the code requirement a few years ago. I am rather glad they did - was keeping otherwise great people out of the hobby. I think they've softened the technical requirements as well but for some it's still quite the challenge.

I'd encourage folks who are interested in electronics to consider participating in amateur radio. There are so many subgroups of people with areas of specific interest. The real benefit is having people close by or as close as the radio/computer to discuss things with. Once licensed you can participate (or not) as time/interest allow.

My first class license expired before my socks did, but I do think HAM is fun for many folks. I know a guy who still likes RTTY comms, have no idea why. I think he gets weather maps or something.

Hi Mikeb
Just got into this thread. I thought you guys had the OP question well in hand, but now that the thread has turned into a show of hands for who's a ham, I want to put mine up too! VE7COR, licensed since 1975. My original testing was quite comparable to what Nigel described, and I'm guessing that requirements have been watered down a little bit in Canada too, but I'm ok with that. I'm not active lately but was back in my school days in my school club and for several years after graduation. Ham activity has fallen by the wayside as life's other priorities elbow their way to the head of the time line, so to speak. I'm still there in spirit though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back