Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Answer to a question !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: drawing

freddie belmont said:
I'm not too good with pictures
two lighting fx'x from one box by switching

First fx starburst
seccond fx lines

It's took me a lot of thinking about this!, but eventually I 'think' I understand what you mean?.

You have the bulbs arranged in a matrix, so by switching live and neutral in the correct sequence you light any bulb (or sequence of bulbs).

But this has nothing to do with reversing live and neutral, that would have no effect.

Perhaps you would like to post a circuit to show us how the bulbs are wired?, however, don't use JPG for diagrams like this - your previous picture was a large file and was barely visible. Use GIF, which gives much better quality and much smaller files - use JPG for pictures where it works best.

lets try again

Take 25 110 volt ac lamps

arrange them in lines of 5 in a pentigan shape ! look at above picture.

wire them so each line would come on in turn from a 5 channel sequencer.
wire the other side of the lamp so the inner circle would come on then the next 5 and so on.

You would have 10 wires 5 for the straight lines 5 for pentigan

if you put your 5 channel sequencer on on each of the straight lines

and ground the pentigan side. the fx would be that of spokes of a wheel turning. with the sequncer on.

Now turn everything around put the 5 pentigans on the sequencer and the straight lines to ground. and the fx is a stsrburst. with the sequncer on.

called a matrix with X and Y switching

X being the straight line side of the lamps
Y being the pentigan side of the lamps

it does not have to be a pentigan could be a circle if made that way.

This can be done using relays, and a timer to switch the relays
Ive done it.

I was wondering if there was another way with type triac divices

so I want to replace double pole center tapped relays if possibal

any help would be helpful

thanks freddie

I'm not good with drawings

as you can see by my above pic's

if i am not mistaken a triac ( or SCR) is used only or dimming a light, by chopping off part of the voltage waveform.

You can do what you are asking with triacs. You just need one for each connection you want to make.

However that would take a lot of triacs and a bunch of supporting components.

A better solution would be to build some smarts into the circuit. Adding a microcontroller would let you produce every possible light combination. You could also have it switch between several preprogammed patterns or change patterns with the music. For much less design work,and a lot less soldering, you'd get a much better solution.

Relay Logic ?

It could be done with five "Double pole, Change-over" (DPDT) relays.
A simple five channel sequencer and a control signal to energise all five relays simultaneously as per the attached.

The relays MUST be "Break-Before-Make" pattern to avoid shorting channel outputs to neutral.

L1 to L5 are the channel inputs from the sequencer circuit, 1 to 5 are the light box radial common lines, A to E are the concentric circles. As all five relays work together I have only shown one coil (unless you use a single ten pole relay?)

Attachments

• starlight_box.gif
    starlight_box.gif
    7.7 KB · Views: 446
Ok lets try again!

The pic is better than anything I could come up with, But I've already done this, and it works.

Has anyone got a triac based version of this.so I don't have to use relays.

suggestions please!

Thank you
Freddie

call me DUMB

I have looked through google.

There are many pages of interest, but, I'm so dumb, I can't find the right site among so many.

If you know a site with info please help, if you know how to use trica switching insted of realys for mains 110v start simple with one channel switching Live and neutral and neutral to live at the same time, then I will times it by five to switch my light boxes.

Thank you
Freddie

Re: Ok lets try again!

freddie belmont said:
The pic is better than anything I could come up with, But I've already done this, and it works.

Has anyone got a triac based version of this.so I don't have to use relays.

suggestions please!

Thank you
Freddie
you didnt like my solid state relay solution!?!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back