Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Animal communication protocol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wingmax

If you don't already think animals communicate, check this out.
A wild polar bear coming upon tethered sled dogs
in the wilds of Canada 's Hudson Bay ..

**broken link removed**

The photographer was sure that he was going to see the end of
his dogs when the polar bear wandered in, but..

With the correct protocol.....
**broken link removed**

The Polar Bear returned every night that week to play with the
dogs.

**broken link removed**

More pictures:

https://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj148/wingmax2/Animal communication/pic04.jpg

https://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj148/wingmax2/Animal communication/pic05.jpg

https://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj148/wingmax2/Animal communication/pic06.jpg

I wonder if Torben has any amazing research relating to this.
Perhaps a cat talking to a mouse.. :D :D

That's wierd, I don't believe it, it must be a fake.

Hehe. Actually I found a few. This is pretty cute if you can ignore the annoying narration: **broken link removed**

About the polar bear and the dogs: you have to wonder what they were actually thinking. Polar bears are some of the most violent predators in the north. Good pictures!

Torben

Hehe. Actually I found a few. This is pretty cute if you can ignore the annoying narration: **broken link removed**

About the polar bear and the dogs: you have to wonder what they were actually thinking. Polar bears are some of the most violent predators in the north. Good pictures!

Torben

A polar bear is no more violent predator than a human hunter is. Effective is more like it- and they don't kill for sport. Who's more violent now?

Last edited:
A polar bear is no more violent predator than a human hunter is. Effective is more like it- and they don't kill for sport. Who's more violent now?

Hey, I never said that they were *the* most violent. :) I'm under no illusions as to who's at the top of the food chain.

That said, if it comes down to a naked polar bear vs. a naked human, my money's on the bear.

Torben

Humans aren't the only animal that kills for fun, my cats certainly do.

However, we're probably the only animal capable of empathy1 that kills for sport2, therefore we must be the only animal capable of being cruel.

1 Some scientists say that we're the only animal capable of empathy but there is evidence to support dolphins and the higher apes being capable of empathy.

2 I don't know even if that's true but I've never heard of any apes or dolphins killing for pleasure.

Last edited:

Torben

That video is truely amazing, I thought that could only happen in Stuart Little. The cat and the mouse must have grown up together since they were babies.

About the bear and the dog, either the bear wasn't hungry or there were some connections between them. Obviously they couldn't talk to each other, so I think there must be some sort of unversal protocol.

It's all about communication. Communication is the key to solution for many problems. :)

Last edited:
Other animals may be capable of emotion and caring that is often only attributed to humans We have a lot to learn about animals.

I had a cat that would seek out an aching joint, lay against it and purr.

The often maligned goldfish is another example. If you have several types of goldfish in one tank they will tend to hang out with others of their type. I have observed some goldfish will "sit with" another that is ill. Goldfish play. If you put an airline on the bottom of the tank the goldfish will ride the rapidly moving column of water from the bottom to the top of the tank.

I once had a small goldfish named bully. He would beat the crap out of goldfish many time his size. I tossed him in a pond with goldfish and koi. He schooled with the koi instead of the goldfish. The Koi were 15 to 30 times his size.

My cats too kill for sport. They catch and eat birds. The mice get killed but the cats will not eat them.

Humans aren't the only animal that kills for fun, my cats certainly do.

However, we're probably the only animal capable of empathy1 that kills for sport2, therefore we must be the only animal capable of being cruel.

1 Some scientists say that we're the only animal capable of empathy but there is evidence to support dolphins and the higher apes being capable of empathy.

Last edited:
3V0 is right on. As the scientific community has opened its investigations to accept the non-uniqueness of human behavior, it seems there are no uniquely human traits. Our ability in math is often tied to language, but several species of animals have been shown to do simple counting, addition and subtraction without language. Now, a human aboriginal tribe in Brazil (Brazil's Piraha, Science News, July 19, 2008, pp. 5-6) has also been shown to grasp numbers and simple math without words.

Bottom line, we are not unique. Turned on end, I simply can't accept that humans are the only animal that can be cruel. We are not the only animals that have both the capacity for empathy and kill for fun. John

Camera trick? You haven't been paying attention, have you?

Torben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back