Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

And we are not your slaves...

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi M,
IMO after reading thru this OP's posts , noting the correct terminology and abbreviations he is using to ask the questions, its obvious the poster already knows the answers to the questions.
Eric

He seems to know the answer because he is seeking the same info in many different places. Then he comes into chat and asks again when he has a perfectly good answer on this forum and maybe others. If one of the guys here that I trust has answered the question asking anyone additional is a waste of our time. It really is. We could be helping people who need real help or sleeping. Both are more useful

Further more there is the too many cooks spoil the pot sort of thing.

And if he can't figure out simple syntax he should start over and pay attention!

Really!

He barges into chat like he owns the place. If asked to wait he exits. Has no clue that there is any value here other then us serving him. Simply rude.

Ian I did not suggest a ban. Only that people stop rewarding his bad behavior.

Ian I did not suggest a ban. Only that people stop rewarding his bad behavior.

I appreciate that, present company excluded... Some members believe we should just ban everyone who doesn't fit in....

I think Ian was referring to my comment about banning trolls. That was just a general statement, I wasn't saying this particular member IS a troll. I'm just beginning to wonder is all.

Matt

I think Ian was referring to my comment about banning trolls. That was just a general statement, I wasn't saying this particular member IS a troll. I'm just beginning to wonder is all.

Matt

OOHHH!! you saw through my dig.... Sorry DS.. I'm not being critical, I just have a much lower tolerance level than you... I really do respect your views...

I sometimes feel that some ( not just you ) are a bit hard on "some" ( I'm not naming any names) other members..

Please don't take offense, non was intended..

OOHHH!! you saw through my dig.... Sorry DS.. I'm not being critical, I just have a much lower tolerance level than you... I really do respect your views...

I sometimes feel that some ( not just you ) are a bit hard on "some" ( I'm not naming any names) other members..

Please don't take offense, non was intended..

No offense taken, Ian. It's true, my tolerance level has dropped over the years and it's something I need to work on.

There are just a couple members who I (and others) have tried to help many times before, and it irks me that they're back asking the exact same questions like nobody ever helped them. They tend to be rude and thankless and refuse to learn. They just want all the answers given to them on a silver platter. That's not only poor forum etiquette, it's a waste of peoples' time and efforts. That's what I can't stand.

Matt

So he may stay until he gets what he wants
or
he may stay because he is getting what he wants.

Do any forums have automated Troll Detection algorithms to replace the instincts of the moderators? It doesn't seem that hard to make one that will give an acceptably low rate of incorrect decisions using historical data from posts that known trolls have done.

Psych tests have an L scale, L for lie. If the L score is too high the results are thrown out.
The algorithm could probably use test questions to challenge the suspected perp.

I know of the one I "overhelp".. Most people have PM'd me to say I'm wasting my time...

However. I'm not..... Whilst helping these people, I'm creating routines I probably wouldn't have anyway..

Ian, I'm glad you help out the way you do. As well as be80b completing some code (If it's the one I seen before) I plan on doing some of those projects. I will be able to embrace a complete project from the front end to the back end and know it works, I shouldn't have to even ask any questions.

You just don't find that laying around on the net, usually it's incomplete and really doesn't tell you the why's.

Some time ago, I PM'd someone in another forum, who was assisting an OP who (new) more than he let on (I looked at his previous posts and found he completed one project of similar content.)

The forum member said I don't care, it helps me stay up on what I know and sometimes I dig deeper to expand my own knowledge.

He finished with, "I" get more out of it in most cases, than they do. What they do with the information, is of no concern to me.)

As Ian says, helping others is a way to learn and understand things for yourself.

Explaining things in hyper-detail to the perpetually clueless may be helpful to others too. The difference being that others will read and understand the explanation and never make a comment about it. Sadly, valuable information will probably be lost in a forum topic that spans many pages and often wanders far from the original subject. Who has the patience to read through pages of crap to find a gem or two?

When I'm looking for answers, I figure a topic with just a few replies may not have the details I'm after, but a topic with pages of replies is probably a vast wasteland. Half a dozen to a dozen replies is probably the jackpot.

For killivolt, Jonsea and Ian Rogers, I have to ask if this is a good use of your time, as in, Are there better things you could do with the knowledge, skills and abilities you possess?

I don't know the answer to this question but it behooves me to find out. I'm reminded of a hoarding analogy, with the "It might come in handy someday" justification.

And, some parasites actually benefit their host organisms. Is the person with the high dQ/dD value one of these?

Last edited:
For killivolt, Jonsea and Ian Rogers, I have to ask if this is a good use of your time, as in, Are there better things you could do with the knowledge, skills and abilities you possess?

To whom are you referring. If you mean we have no business on the site or am I mis-reading it.

I don't know the answer to this question but it behooves me to find out. I'm reminded of a hoarding analogy, with the "It might come in handy someday" justification.

Again, please elaborate.

And, some parasites actually benefit their host organisms. Is the person with the high dQ/dD value one of these?

Are you being rude or obtuse?

Hi KV

Never mind Aliens from other Sites trying to poison ETO.

Everything at ETO smacks of good...hence the attack.

Let it go because it is not worth it. ETO is here still because of Honesty, Integrity and everything Good.

And useless Sites don't understand that. Here is the latest poisoning as per Google:
https://www.google.co.za/#output=se...87,d.d2k&fp=4d23390ad5bcb109&biw=1280&bih=643

And it is right on top when you search for here :eek: Bad, bad, bad. Just thought you Guys should see this and fix it.

Like now.

Regards,
tvtech

Last edited:
I see the point 3v0 has here. But I see this as it is you can't weed out posters and that's what would happen there is so many great people here that help people learn things they don't know.

If you weed out the bad your going to cut off the roots of the the good and it will die too.

1 To whom are you referring. If you mean we have no business on the site or am I mis-reading it.
2 Again, please elaborate.
3 Are you being rude or obtuse?

1: In the case of trolls or other game players, we may all be wasting our time. This may come with the territory on forums, though.

2: I'm wondering if, occasionally, we are all being used. I had a customer once who expressed surprise that anyone would post what they know on forums at no cost.

3: Not everyone sees a problem with the guy who keeps asking questions. Maybe this poster actually benefits some of us, but to me he just wants to be spoon fed. I posted a reply to test this assumption, and I think the OP's non-answer confirms this.
A few times in my life I have met people like this, and I go with the "Fool me once. . ." rule.

Last edited:
I don't think the members who act like this should be banned, I just think it couldn't hurt for the moderators to send them a message, perhaps explaining forum etiquette and just speaking to them about their attitudes, etc. This could even be done in a standardized format, just listing several things the members should know about posting (i.e. if you're here to just get answers, you're in the wrong place), and maybe a brief explanation of what they're doing wrong. I don't think it would take much, but I guess that's up to the moderators and to EM.

So Eric, Ian, Nigel, and/or EM--What do you think? Is this something that could be easily implemented? I really think it would solve a lot of the issues people are having.

Regards,
Matt

The last (third) time I got banned (over several years) was kind of fun.

-I posted my opinion and a replier said it was foolish.
-I called "ad hominem" on the guy and then another replier said No, the first guy said my opinion was foolish, not me.
-I then said that a foolish remark is most likely to be made by a fool and so this was "more likely than not ad hominem" or "ad hominem once removed" and went on to declare that while I might not learn anything else from that forum, I would learn new mindgames and that's always useful for defensive purposes.
-Banned! and the whole thing was over with three posts.
Interpreting someone's behavior back to them is called Process Commentary and these dudes didn't like it one bit.

Then there was this legal forum where some members were judgmental; I took myself off that forum and when I posted Why they deleted a whole string of back and forth. Shame, shame, shame. . .

Recommended reading is "The Offensive Internet". It's a bit wordy, though.

Lol Norator you praised some one that runs this forum down as being good how do you base that. ?

And don't take that wrong but out of 3947 post I may of ask for help 47 times. In five years.

But you pick 3 people and one is not here for the good of ETO and I'm sure the two that's left know I'm not talking about them.

How did you pick the 3 of them there all good guys and I mean that, but only two of them give a hoot about this forum and I know that.

This forum has some of the Greatest minds out there. And it's a hard job to keep it going people think that weeds should be weeded it's not that easy. Cause why some of these great people like showing what they know, But those know when to walk away. And i'm sure they know who I'm talking about to. But this forum is made up of all kind of people and like life you have to take the good with the bad if you change it you'll break it.
I'm sure ET knows that he is a smart man and has done Great things here with this forum. I'm glade he took the time to get this going. There is a world of knowledge here some of the best people in the world post here I'll not name them but I respect them for sharing there Ideas with all us.

Last edited:
One of the problems with the kind of people who ask the same thing again and again seems to be that they don't understand they do it. If you call them on it, they can't understand there's a problem. No amount of explaining gets the point accross.

Check out the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

I never suggested banning anyone. My feelings on this is that once we have identified this behavior it would be BETTER FOR THE POSTER if we pointed it out. At that point he can either start learning or we stop helping.

An early warning sign are people who what to go too far too fast. They want to use ADC or I2C when they don't know how to write a loop.

I don't want to know I just want it to work.

I spend my "free time" here rather than scrolling through funny images/videos or reading yellow press. Reading forum posts while having my morning coffee has become a habit. Do you use all your abilities for the most useful things at all times?

Mostly I post an answer because the subject interests me.. so I refresh my memory, maybe research some new things and that way I learn new stuff. And of course because I have done all that work, why not post an answer.. there are two benefits for posting: You help other people, and you get feedback/new ideas/corrections from others.

So, I feel like I get the most benefit when I get involved in threads.. most of the time.. Sometimes I act like an ass, but hey, can't be too serious all the time.

Reactions: 3v0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back