Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

And Today's Mystery Item Is ? Any Ideas Or Help Welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmn_tech

Hi. Today I bought a large box of electronic components at a local boot sale (swap meet / yard sale). It included literally thousands of many and varied Items all new and unused. Now for the Mystery! It contained a bag of about 25 of these Items as shown in the photo's below. Sorry about the quality just took a quick snap on my phone.

The markings on the top are:-
Gardners
DILCON
5/12D
GARDNERS ELECTRONICS DIVISION
Christchurch England

The bottom is marked:-

CA-24P

I think the 24P refers to the fact that the Item has 24 pins (DIL)

Searching for Gardners Provided no usable information nor did searching the other terms. Might just be me!!! I eagerly await your ideas
Top.jpg
Bottom.jpg
Side.jpg

My best guess would be that it's a 5V-12V DC-DC converter, but I am not finding information on it at the moment.

Like DerStrom8 I don't know what that package is.

But I also think it is possibly a power converter with DILCON standing for Dual In Line Converter, probably 5V to 12V.

Gardeners was a small UK company and its main business was transformers, especially high quality and military types, both standard and custom.

But Gardeners is no longer in existence and there is nothing much on the net about their products.

In addition to being a small PSU the part could also be a small transformer or transformers. If you have a poke about with an Ohmmeter you may get a clue. You may find that many pins are either common or not used.

The other thing you can do is to sacrifice one unit and pick it apart and see what is inside.

spec

Last edited:
I agree with spec and Matt.

JimB

Hi again. Thanks for your input. I must admit my thoughts were along the lines of a 5v to 12v converter, hence the "5/12D" on the package. DILCON being an acronym for Dual In Line Converter, I must admit never even occurred to me. (Spec bet your good at word puzzles :joyful:). I will strip one apart but unfortunately at the moment following an accident I can only use one hand (I can just see these units flying around the room as I attempt to open one)

Thanks again everyone for your input.

Perhaps, in view of your injured hand best leave alone for the time being.:eek:

One good way to de-pot items is to put them in an oven starting at 80 Deg C and gradually increase the temperature until the potting compound either crumbles or gets soft. Best not to try this when the kitchen management are around though.:D

spec

I did it few times: careful and patient filing of all sides as parallel as possible to them so the first relevant part comes out little or no damaged. It is what I used to do when filing the top of transistors metallic cover.

De-potting seems much more effective for the component in question.

Agree w/ what has been posted earlier;
An article in Medical Engineering regarding a Pacemaker Vector Cardiograph submitted by M.G. pepper in late 70's specifically mentions your device;
Need to be a member to get the full report.
"Gardener Electronics" not to be confused with the American Wells Gardner of Chicago.
DILCON.png

An article in Medical Engineering regarding a Pacemaker Vector Cardiograph submitted by M.G. pepper in late 70's specifically mentions your device;
"Gardener Electronics" not to be confused with the American Wells Gardner of Chicago.View attachment 101351

wow ... nice find :)

Dave

"Gardener Electronics" not to be confused with the American Wells Gardner of Chicago.View attachment 101351
Amazing detective work!:cool:

spec

WOW!! Nice Find. At least I know that it is definitely a DC/DC converter now just need to identify the pinout.

Thanks again for all replies.

I managed to download the full PDF free from a different site **broken link removed**. However, though it shows some circuit diagrams of the Pacemaker thingy, it does not show the DILCON. just the small section in the text as shown in the google search above.

Question How many pages deep was your search

About two years I declared some Avago chip PS2 mouse imposible to find in the Web. Someone posted the datasheet that he found going some 8 or 10 pages further in a conventional Google search.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back