Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

anatomy of a webcam

Status
Not open for further replies.
My project is not as complicated as building an actual camera. I dont need to make lens, CPU, interface, lcd, battery, memory... It will be controlled completely by laptop software.
You've based that assumption on what? You don't even understand how complex a digital image sensor is let alone all the other greebles that form a camera. It's as much an art as science.
I want to make high end camera
A cobbled together camera is not high end, those folks that make high end cameras have years of experience and thousands of years of man-hours in development.
Why would you want to pay someone to design you an inferior cobbled together product? You won't even come close to the quality of your webcam. An engineer(s) with those kind of skills will charge you $1500 a day to start.
Important things I need are sensor!, powerful autofocus motor, gyrosensor for image stabilizing and hardware to send the digital signal to laptop via USB 2.0 port.
Just buy a 4/3 camera on eBay.
I dont mean to imply that it is easy, I know it is very complex but I am not convinced DIY is impossible, particularly when I can seek help.
Impossible no (men have landed on the moon), improbable very.
Seriously.

PS this wouldn't be a half baked final year project would it?

Last edited:
I dont mind paying someone who is interested and ready to help me out. whom should I look for? electrical engineering? what year?

If you can afford to pay someone to design such a thing, then why not just purchase a high end camera? It would be cheaper.

You are eluding yourself if you think you have any chance of producing a high end, or even low end camera. Based on your questions and knowledge I do not see how you could possibly undertake such a project; I also doubt you have the equipment resources to carry out such a task.

Save yourself and Blueroom some time and give this silly notion up. Until you get a bit more schooling, your just pissing up a rope.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I'd buy a 4:3 camera these days, the 16:9 widescreen format will probably overtake the old 4:3 format.

PS is "go backpacking" slang or something you were considering to do in your spare time?

Last edited:
I have to say that these kinds of threads bug me. Someone is asking for help, albeit on a complex project, but all he gets is "buy one". He never once said he was doing it so it would be cheaper.

You can't "buy" experience. It only comes from doing it all yourself.

He wants a high quality webcam with auto-focus. He did not mention a complete SLR camera. I'd start by using a low quality webcam and get that working first, then start upgrading the components of it as you learn.

Last edited:
In short it's not likely the OP knew what he was getting into. Sure experience is great, but start with baby steps.

And yes he did mention an SLR. And also appeared to want to avoid a microprocessor too. Add to that getting a CMOS image sensor is one thing, wiring it up quite another...

Do you have a better suggestion?
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Yes, tear apart an actual webcam and start there.

CMOS sensors can't be all that complicated. The astronomy community uses them all the time in DIY projects. I've never looked into them myself, but there should be all kinds of information from that community. Start searching there.

actually camera modules for DIY use are available, so you may not have to build one.

In the end its of course your decision. You could post info on your project, but before that you need to do your homework...

thanks
arunb

PS: Most people didn't believe that 'heavier than air' machines could fly, but Wright brothers proved them wrong.

Last edited:
The i.MX21 microcontrollers have hardware interfaces for image sensors. This processor operates at several hundred mhz and costs around $10. A development board is available from Sparkfun and others.

Any idea what the green circuit board is doing?

I think this is what's making people think you may not be up to the challenge.

I didnt really intended to actually make one myself. My aim was to understand how a webcam functions. This has led to an interesting discussion on BPL:

Brainstorming the ideal camera for backpacking photography
BackpackingLight.com Forums -- Photography Brainstorming the ideal camera for backpacking photography

The idea basically is a bluetooth/usb camera module which uses foveon or 4/3 sensor, liquid lens and can be controlled by phone similar to a webcam controlled by PC for ultra light weight, high quality camera setup.

I didnt really intended to actually make one myself. My aim was to understand how a webcam functions.

I want to make high end camera based on micro four thirds format which is especially designed to be used with a laptop. I figure all I need is a sensor and basic circuit and the rest of operations such live view, storage, processing, power supply can be done via laptop. I can use interchangeable lens which can be bought from olympus/panasonic.

Any advice?

What?

OK early on I did think about making one. But feedback here and design discussions at BPL about ideal camera has made the whole thing outside my league.

Sorry about the misunderstanding. If you read discussion linked in my previous post you will understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back