Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Analog Electronics Lab Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

shehry

Hi,
I am onto a slightly different kind of a project. I recently started my teaching career as a Lab Engineer in my own university and I wanted some help concerning the syllabus of an Analog Electronics Lab. While I was a student, the lab consisted of simply the companion manual of Boylestad which btw was very dull and boring. I want to replace it. In other words I want to design my own manual and design it from scratch.

By the time the lab commences, the students would be aware of KVL, KCL,
Thevenin and Norton, a little bit of op-amps and some other basic
circuit analysis stuff. They would also have done digital logic design
and would know how to use an oscilloscope and all that. They would NOT
know of:

1. Diodes
2. BJTs
3. FETs
4. Transducers etc.

Although I dont, as of yet, have a complete idea of what the lab should
look like. But I would love to include desgin problems which produce
some tangible product in the end. I want to give the students a very
strong base for their future lives and would appreciate any help in
this regard.

It would be helpful to understand-

are you a teaching assistant?

what year are the students?

what experience do they have?

what will be their majors?

what math are they capable of?

attach the syllabus of the class and lab.

Is this in the US?

I mentioned the answers to some of the questions in my first post. In any event here are they again:

1. Yes I am a teaching assistant, but I am afraid the teacher wont be much helpful in solving my problem

2. The students would be in their 4th semester at the time of the lab

3. They would have done the Digital Logic Design Lab. They are using the companion manual to Floyd. They would also have done the Circuit Analysis Lab. Thus they would be aware of the basic circuit design techniques.

4. Almost all would be having their majors in Electronics. Some would have theirs in mechanical engineering.

5. As for their mathematical capabilities, I dont think a very high level of mathematics would be required. They need to solve equations simultaneously at best. And they do know of the Gauss-Jordan Elimination method :)

6. Syllabus: Diodes, Transistors, BJT, MOSFETS, JFETS, Small Signal Analysis and Large Signal Analysis. The same level as that contained in the books of Boylestad, Bogart, Sedra, Floyd or Malvino. Things like the transfer curve, filters etc. are not included but i would like to touch on them

7. And finally, this IS outside the US.

All I want is some help as to how should I make the lab more interesting. I dont want them to just draw some circuits and find the amplification and all that. I want them to be able to design some small interesting product as well.

Regards

How about an interesting project.

Like building an AM/FM radio from discrete componants.

You could build it up in stages, perhaps the simpler stuff like the audio amplifier first then the ocillator, mixer, IF amplifier and detectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back