Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

An ultimate encycolopedia book on different electronic modules and components?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AceOfHearts

Hi everyone,

I was wondering is there a great book out there that explains the use of almost all electronic components/parts/modules to a reasonably in-depth level? For example, a chapter on seven-segment displays, how they work etc....another on LCD displays graphic/non-graphic, another chapter on microcontrollers, and down to capacitors, inductors, resistors, LEDs, etc. etc.
The book would focus more on the practical side of them.

Just wondering. such a book would be a useful reference to have, but I havent found one yet.

Many thanks for reading. :)

Regards.

Last edited:
I don't think so...you have net. There's enough about each thing to have a big 3" book (or multiple books) about them.

And seven segment displays work depending on the way the manufacturer made their interface. THe same goes for microcontrollers. Although you could get a dedicated books on microcontroller and logic design, but that wouldn't help you very much. Reasonably in depth, means different things to different people.

But if you mean basic electronic components there are single books (but big ones! like text books!) like that, and for microelectronics too. THey have a lot of theory though which may bog you down.

The book "Electronics For Dummies" covers some of that, but not the entire range of components you are interested in.

What's a book?

I don't think printed books are that great anymore. Things change almost as quickly as it takes to publish. The internet is a better source, as you can download old text books, usually free. You can get press releases and white sheets for new technology straight from the manufacturer. Most data sheets aren't that hard to find. An all in one book would be huge, and might take longer to find what you are looking for, than searching the internet. A book limits you to what the author feels is enough to cover a topic, or what make sense to him/her, but not clear things up for you, so you need to seek another source anyway. I have quite a few books, most a fairly thick, and only deal with one or two areas of electronics, and nothing very advanced in those areas.

I found the book 'Practical Electronics For Inventors: 2nd Edition' by Paul Scherz to be very helpful in this respect. I not only covers electronics theory without burying you in excessive math, but also has sections on component types(Operation, how they are made, different types(carbon film vs metal film)) and applications. This is the book that got me interested in electronics.

I have the book: 'Practical Electronics For Inventors: 2nd Edition' by Paul Scherz as a .pdf and it's very good.
It's just one of a hundred or more books you need to cover electronics.
Every page in the book can be expanded one-hundred times - that's the complexity of electronics.
Another area of electronics that is very important is: CONSTRUCTION.
Books are very handy to have but let me point out that just about anything and everything you want, and need to know, is available at no-cost on the web.
And it’s instantly available via the search engines.
Rather than spend money on books and magazines, it would be better spent on components and maybe kits. You cannot grasp electronics without CONSTRUCTION.
One of the largest encyclopaedias on the web is: Fundamentals of Electrical Engineering and Electronics (FEEE). <snip: spam link>
Colin Mitchell

Last edited by a moderator:
Your local library is a good source for older books, and even many newer ones. The library system where I'm at is exceptional, there's very little in print I can't get if need be and many books you can't get in print. I bought the book "Teach yourself electricity and electronics" which I keep around for reference but like many books on electronics it reads like a school book and assumes certain knowledge, it's not really based on practicality, which I think is a crime because electronics should be much more of a trade skill than the over institutionalized situation that current exists.

Wikipedia is slowly growing their database. I regularly check there for articles to help myself and other people (why type a long winded article when someone else has already done it?).

"The art of elecronics"
The best book for electronics.
Useful for beginners and intermediates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back