Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

An Aid to Failing Eyesight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Musicmanager: Is there any chance a remote release can be rigged to it? In other words, can you tell if the release is mechanically linked or just a switch?

John

Hi John

There is a remote release inline about 12 inches from the camera .. ..

Look at .. **broken link removed**

This is a much better ( and more expensive) version but the switch featured is identical. There is a thumbwheel on the top edge which controls the LED brightness and a button on the side for a snapshot or to activate/deactivate the video.

I'm beginning to conclude that it's ideal for high resolution searching/inspection especially in confined areas. Certainly I can read identification markings on components that I wouldn't be able to see with or without my glasses. Taking a picture requires a very steady hand which I only have sometimes, but in most cases the tripod can be rigged to hold things still.

I still think it's great value for money :)

S

I think it's cool too. I'm nearsighted and really don;t like looking with one eye. I'm in focus without glasses at about 9-10 inches.

Many of the stereo microscopes I've used professionally, had the one lens that you could adjust for your eye sight.

Using microscopes with your glasses on is Yuk!

I've used the whole gambit from plain glasses to scanning electron microscopes. I missed the TEM or Transmission Elecreon Microscope.

I haven't tried using it, but I do have an illuminated fiber video inspection camera..

Photo0307.jpg This has been a good tool for me.
The manufac now sells them with a circular fluo tube like mine, or with leds.

April Fools ?? You mean like the Shark reported in the canal in Birmingham City Centre; or the elephant running up Broad Street; or Nigel Goodwin OBE :D

I grew up without glasses then at around 40 years old my arms became "too short" for reading. I used reading glasses for a few years for closeups then I got tri-ocular glasses for very close, medium-close and far.
At around 62 years old I was blinded by cataracts and selected modern fixed tiny synthetic lenses in my eyes plus surgery to correct astigmatism that old people have. The lenses have fixed focus so I still use reading glasses for closeups but medium and far focus are perfect.
At that time adjustable focus synthetic lenses were very expensive and frequently "got stuck" and needed replacement. Now they are improved and work well.

I wonder why people wear glasses anymore since most will need cataracts surgery in the future anyway.

Well, I just ordered one of those microscopes off eBay. Gonna sit by the letter box now...

I'm also an old fart, dealing with smaller and smaller components, as my eyesight goes from bad to worse.
If you ask me, that is the reason I'm building fewer projects nowadays.

I use an illuminated jeweller's lens for assembly, but its magnification is not sufficient for proper solder inspection of small SMT components.

On a similar note, for those of us visually impaired: Hove you noticed how difficult it is to read laser-etched chips, as compared to the old ink printing?
And of course, neither MLCCs nor a lot of resistors have any printed values anymore.

I just assumed they had stopped printing on the the chips. Are you sure there is something there? ;)

John

SOICs, TSSOPs DFNs...definitively yes. Although in many instances is a code or abbreviation, which you have to go to the datasheet to decode.
But.........there is no room for the manufacurer's logo anymore.

Hove you noticed how difficult it is to read laser-etched chips

Huh, I have difficulty reading the instructions on oven chips these days, even with my glasses !!! :D

Seriously though, I have noticed that many manufacturers seem to print identity in a colour similar to the rest of the surface - net even white anymore. Do you think there's a conspiracy by the younger generation to undermine their elders ??
The more I play with this gismo I bought the more I like it.

S

Nope
To highlight my problem, I got stopped by the Police today because I was going the wrong way up a one way street. I knew my eyesight was the problem when the officer asked me why I hadn't seen the arrows - Hell, I hadn't even seen the Indians !!! :D

Mine arrived today. Quite impressed, though the connection to the LED's seems a bit flakey. Tried it on Win7 and Arch Linux, good on both except the snapshot button not working on Linux at the moment. Sure I can sort it out - well, if I can be bothered that is!

Nope
To highlight my problem, I got stopped by the Police today because I was going the wrong way up a one way street. I knew my eyesight was the problem when the officer asked me why I hadn't seen the arrows - Hell, I hadn't even seen the Indians !!! :D
There, could you expect a fine because of that? :nailbiting:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back