Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Amplifying Millivolts to Volts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caiden

Hi guys, I trying to amplify 10 millivolts into 1 or more volts I was wondering if anyone knew how to do that. I'm really in a rush so please resond quickly.

I kind of depends on where it's at in you circuit, can you post your circuit?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    145.7 KB · Views: 577
OpAmps come to mind...

What do you have to work with?

Supply voltages?

What input impedance?

What does the output need to drive?

Bandwidth?

Have a look through datasheets of instrumentation amplifiers (posh opamps ;) )

You need to make sure they have a very low offset i.e. 0.1mV or lower - that would give you around a 1% error on your 10mV input.

I've been searching online and can't find anything, I've also been testing with op amps. So I don't exactly have a circuit yet. Do any of you guys know a op amp circuit that I can use. If so Where would I put the ground for the output?

I'm just trying to amplify 10 millivolts to make it usable. So basically If it's ac it has to be 110 volts but if I do dc it has to be enough to charge a phone. Do you know what I mean?

A quick question...

... where do these millivolts come from?

JimB

You just know it's going to be some kind of ludicrous 'free' energy scheme :D
I was holding off on that thought, just in case* I was wrong.

JimB

* Very low probability.

On another website forum he wants to amplify 10mV to make 5VDC or 110V (AC?) to charge his phone.
A microphone produces 10mV. If it is amplified then its amplifier also needs a power supply that he did not think about.

Hi,

Well if we can get God to talk into the mic it might produce enough output power to run a battery charger <chuckle>.

Seriously I'd like to find out where this 10mv is coming from too now. Of course it doesnt matter that much because 10mv is far too low to use for anything that has to be "powered" anyway. Hopefully there is more to it than that.

Power conversion is correct. But you need to understand that you cannot increase power by converting it. All you can do is change the voltage and current numbers. But the power (volts * amps) stays the same or, more accurately, you get less power out due to losses in the power conversion process.

A standard USB port is 5V @ 0.5 Amps or, 2.5 watts. If you want to create that same power from a 10 mV source, you will need over 250 amps at the input.

And if you want to minimize losses in the wiring (say keep them at 20%), you are only allowed 2 cm of a very thick #4/0 wire for all your connections in both directions :)

Sorry guys I just barely figured out that it's not amplifying it power converting i'm really sorry.

Hi,

10mv is too low to convert to any useful power. But tell us where this 10mv is coming from in the first place and we might have more suggestions.

10mv is too low to convert to any useful power. But tell us where this 10mv is coming from in the first place and we might have more suggestions.
On the other website forum he said, "My 10mV is coming from RF that I'm getting out of the air."

Hi,

Oh geeze, ha ha. Well good luck with that OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back